On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 6:46 AM Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.net>
wrote:

*> Of course they could have evolved some more sophisticated strategies, *

Yes but the other agents could've evolved more sophisticated strategies
too, and the behavior of the other agents must be considered because they
are a very important part of the environment, if not the most important
part.

*> but since the vision range was a genetic parameter, it was simply easier
> for evolution to provide global coordination by limiting the vision range,
> and then it got stuck at this local optimum. *

Your agents could've gotten stuck in an ESS, a Evolutionarily Stable
Strategy. Once the majority of a population are using a ESS a mutant who
follows a different strategy will soon die out even though if everybody
followed that strategy everybody would be better off. It is one of the many
flaws in Darwinian Evolution and why it took over 3 billion years for it to
invent brains. Just a century ago humans had no idea how to make a brain
but today we're very close.

*> I still think about this to this day, and wonder if such a phenomenon
> has biological plausibility.*

It certainly does!  Richard Dawkins talks about this extensively in his
wonderful books "The Selfish Gene" and "The Extended Phenotype", two of the
best books I've ever read and I read a lot.

sse