From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: spudboy...@aol.com
Cc: everything-list@googlegroups.com <everything-list@googlegroups.com>;
meekerbr...@gmail.com <meekerbr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tue, Aug 23, 2022 8:36 am
Subject: Re: Christian Adolf and adolfic Christians [was: Re: What Threshold
Threat of CO2]

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 8:32 PM <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:

> So, should we discard history because somebody is long dead?
 Yes except for academic purposes, and we certainly shouldn't start murdering
each other over it. The Sunni-Shia conflict exists because some Muslims think
that when Muhammad died in 632 and didn't have a male heir the new leader of
the religion should have been Muhammad's closest male relative his cousin and
son-in-law Ali (a female leader was unthinkable) ; but others think the new
leader should have been picked by those who were elite members of the Islamic
community at the time. One group is the Shia and the other is the Sunni, I
forget which is which because I tend not to remember useless information.
Neither group can explain why their religion even needed a new leader if back
then Mohammed had already revealed everything anybody would need to know in the
Quran. And nobody can explain why this incident remains relevant today and is
worth killing somebody who happens to have an opinion that is opposite to the
one you have about an occurrence in ancient history. I think the entire thing
is completely nuts since whoever the rightful heir to Muhammad was has been
dead for over 1300 years.

>Religion was an attempt to fix problems and control people, and explain the
>world to people who didn't have the energy because they were too busy farming
>or ranching.

And religion works fine at providing explanations provided you don't mind
explanations that are worse than wrong, explanations that are more convoluted
than the thing they're trying to explain and thus are flat out ridiculous.

>maybe because of scientific knowledge we may do better.

You think?

ytb

5nq

skb