Am Mo, 20. Mär 2023, um 14:28, schrieb Jason Resch:
> The video John shared is worth watching. This is significant. It is now
> solving complex math problems which requires a long sequence of steps.

I agree that it is significant and extremely impressive. I never said the
opposite. What baffles me is that John is now requiring religious reverence
towards a scientific result, and criticizing when I ask questions that are part
of the same standard machine learning methodology that got us here.

> Over-fitting is less of an issue here because it's trivial to write a
> sentence that's never before been written by any human in history.

That is not enough. A small variation on a standard IQ test is still the same
IQ test for a super powerful pattern detector such as GPT-4.

I have no doubt that GPT-4 can generalize in its domain. It was rigorously
designed and tested for that by people who know what they are doing. My doubt
is that you can give it an IQ test and claim OMG GPT-4 IQ > 140. This is just
silly and it is junk science.

> You can tweak the parameters of the problem to guarantee it's a problem it
> has never before been seen, and it can still solve it.

Some yes, some no. Almost one century of computer science still applies.

> You can choose to wait for the academic write ups to come out a few months
> down the line but by then things will have advanced another few levels from
> where we are today.

I am not wanting to wait for anything, I am asking questions that can be
addressed right now:

- Are there IQ tests in the training data of GPT-4. Yes or no?
- Can we conceive of human-level intelligence without recurrent connections or
some form of ongoing recursivity / Turing completeness? Yes or no?

In any case, all of this discussion will become moot in a few weeks.

Telmo