On Tue Dec 31, 2002 at 07:46:54PM +0000, richard bown wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 19:08, Charles A Edwards wrote:
>
> > These are the correct version But they are not as you had listed in your
> > first post and they all can be auto-installed using Mandrake Update (I
> > did on my 9.0 system without problem.)
> >
> Here steams the problem Charles, mandrake update is not working on this
> machine,  and this is what I've been trying without success to fix.
> No matter which site I select All I ever get is this message:-
>
>   "there was an error while adding the update medium via urpmi
> This may be due to a broken or temp. unavailable mirror, or when your
> Mandrake Linux version 9.0 is not yet/no more supported by Mandrake
> Linux official updates
>  do you want to try another mirror ?"

Does urpmi work?  Can you do "urpmi.update -a; urpmi --auto-select"?
Does it give you errors or does it work?

Considering your first post indicated you had downloaded 8.2 updates
for a 9.0 machine, I can't help but wonder what else you buggered up.

> at this point pull out hair and scream !!

Easy fix.  Download the updates for your installed version of Mandrake.
Ie. if you have 9.0 installed, download 9.0 updates.  I have no clue
what possessed you to download 8.2 updates for a 9.0 system.

> There is listed a bugfix for mdkonline but it back to square one again
> !!!
> This is why I'm suspicious that unless you join the mdk club the OS
> falls apart...can some confirm if this is the case

mdkonline package has nothing to do with rpmdrake (aka Mandrake
Update).  mdkonline also has nothing to do with Club.  urpmi has
nothing to do with Club.  To insinuate that we have put out "trojans"
that mysteriously break your machine if you don't subscribe to Club is
utter nonsense.  No one can confirm if this is the case because it is
not.

Look, if you messed up your own machine, it's unfair to start slinging
insinuations and pointing fingers at MandrakeSoft and imply we're out
to extort money from people by putting out trojan updates.

I've installed the urpmi updates on over a dozen machines without a
single problem.  Of course, I chose the updates for the version of
Mandrake installed, and I've used all of them: 8.1, 8.2, 8.2/PPC, 9.0.
They all work.

If they don't work for you, you broke something.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"