On Tue Dec 31, 2002 at 09:48:32PM +0000, richard bown wrote:

> > mdkonline package has nothing to do with rpmdrake (aka Mandrake
> > Update).  mdkonline also has nothing to do with Club.  urpmi has
> > nothing to do with Club.  To insinuate that we have put out "trojans"
> > that mysteriously break your machine if you don't subscribe to Club is
> > utter nonsense.  No one can confirm if this is the case because it is
> > not.
> >
> > Look, if you messed up your own machine, it's unfair to start slinging
> > insinuations and pointing fingers at MandrakeSoft and imply we're out
> > to extort money from people by putting out trojan updates.
>
> Lets get one thing straight .
> I am NOT accusing anyone of putting trojans to screw users.

No, you just imply it.  It's a shame you snipped what you originally
wrote.

> Its common practice with some s/w companies to do this.

Is it?  What s/w companies do this?  I'd *really* like to know as it is
entirely unethical.

> I asked if mandrake did thats all.

Absolutely not.  But don't take my word for it... as some are fond of
saying: "Use the source, Luke".  You have the source for every update,
feel free to scour it.

> This problem appeared after a few updates, and remained after a fresh
> install,,,this is symptomatic of reaching a maximum level of permitted
> updates,,,and thats why I ask a simple question

Asking and implying are two different things, entirely.  Besides,
updates are offered on public-access FTP mirrors.  How can we possibly
try to limit this?  It just doesn't make sense.

So something else is the problem.  After your fresh install, did you
have the installer upgrade packages for you?  Or did you leave well
enough alone, log in, setup the updates source in MCC, and discover you
had the same problem?

If so, I would start looking at the environment... things like proxies,
firewalls, etc.  And trying different mirrors.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"