I don't think you understand Wagner, or opera, at all. As Judy has
pointed out to you, Wagner's librettos are not intended to stand on
their own. That's the whole point of the Gesamtkunstwerk. In fact, it
would be hard to think of any opera libretto that "stands on its own."
That's not what opera is all about. Wagner's librettos do the job he
intended them to do very well indeed, and they can't be separated from
the music that brings them to life.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For me, the music does not improve the librettos.  I said, "Each
must stand on its own.  Wagner's librettos don't.  This is personal
preference, not ignorance.  End of story.

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com