> In a message dated 1/5/08 8:07:15 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Have  Americans got a problem with Muslims  then?
>
> Jim.
>
> Evidently Judy thinks so because in my original post I referred
> to Obama as a Muslim and she and a couple others became overly
> defensive of it, calling it a  dirty trick and a lie etc. and
> calling me a xenophobe and a racist. You know,  the common attack
> liberals make against people that don't share their political
> agenda. Yet she was the one all upset at Obama being referred to
> as a Muslim as  if it were an insult and a smear.

What liberals tend to dislike most about right-wingers
is not their political agenda but their propensity to
lie, as MDixon does above.

First, it wasn't I who called him a xenophobe and a
racist. I called him an unscrupulous cynic for having
deliberately attempted to elicit outrage about his
lie that Obama is a Muslim so he could then call the
folks who objected xenophobes and racists, just as he
does above, by pretending that they considered it a
smear.

With possibly a few exceptions, on this forum nobody
thinks it would reflect badly on Obama were he a
Muslim. In other less knowledgeable and sophisticated
venues in this country, of course, Muslims are considered
evil and treacherous, which is why right-wingers are
trying to spread the rumor that Obama is a Muslim.

What's so offensive about the rumor is its *appeal* to
xenophobia and its exploitation of ignorance.

MDixon knows all this (just as he knew from the start
that Obama isn't Muslim) because I explained it to him
in my initial response. So his current post involves
several layers of quite disgraceful disingenuity and
deception.

 I think the
> average Muslim in the know would  have said "No, he's not a Muslim
> even though his father and stepfather were." I  doubt they would
> have taken it as a smear, probably more as a complement.

Of course the "average Muslim" would not consider it a
smear. However, Muslims "in the know" would add that
Obama's father had become an atheist by the time he met
Obama's mother (who was raised Christian but was not a
believer) and divorced her when Obama was two years old.
His stepfather's heritage was Muslim, but he did not
practice Islam and separated from Obama's mother after
five years. So even to say Obama has "Muslim roots" is
a gross exaggeration. He was neither brought up as nor
educated as a Muslim.