> In a message dated 1/5/08 8:34:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Just  like Billy Sheehan tried to warn others that the
> > Republicans would use  Obama's drug use against him and
> > might accuse him of drug dealing. He  was making the
> > accusation first!
>
> Uh, no, he made no  accusation. But he shouldn't
> have said it,
>
> It was an indirect accusation. It planted the idea in peoples
> minds,

Yes, it raised the issue of possible drug-dealing
(as noted, it was already widely known that Obama
had taken drugs when he was younger because he
himself had revealed it in his book, and it had been
a hot topic of discussion in the media).

As I noted, he shouldn't have even mentioned it.

 just  as
> having Bob Kerry speaking about Obama's great Muslim roots
> was to plant an image in peoples minds,

The image had already been planted in people's minds
by the right-wing rumors. What Kerrey was attempting
to do was to point out that any connection Obama had
with Islam was a positive rather than a negative.

 and it was a Hillary campaign advisor doing it and
> tried to mask it by saying the republicans could accuse him
> of this later. Like a good campaign worker , Billy Sheehan
> fell on his sword for the Hillmeister after the damage had
> been done.

I don't think either man was following direction
from the Clinton campaign. I think Kerrey's motive
was entirely benign; and I'm not entirely sure that
Sheehan was doing anything but warning of what the
Republicans were likely to do if Obama were
nominated. It's the sort of thing campaigns and
political mavens speculate about among themselves
in trying to anticipate their opponents' moves, but
it shouldn't have been mentioned publicly.

The point is nobody in the Republican Party had
>  ever mentioned this.

Not so far, no. But there's no reason to think
the same people spreading the Obama-is-a-Muslim
rumors will be any more scrupulous about the drug-
dealer idea, especially if Obama wins the
nomination.

 By the way it is another Clinton ploy to attack the
> bearer  of bad news. If Novak lacked any credibility he wouldn't
> be published in any  major news papers and called as a witness
> to testify in investigations.

Oh, please. Novak has been running on his reputation
for awhile now, but he lost his investigative edge
and his ability to evaluate the reliability of his
sources quite some time ago.