I've been aware of this article for many years, but thanks for the
reference. And BTW, the courts ruled that Swami Vasudevananda
couldn't use the title for fund-raising, not that he couldn't use the
title at all.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/position/shank-jyot-ascii.html
>
> Read the whole article if you want to get a good feel for the
> complexity of it all. Some excerpts.
>
> -------------------------
>
> There is currently a succession dispute at the Jyotirmath
> Sankaracharya seat, the origin of which dates back to the year 1953.
> Till recently, the two major rivals were Swami Swarupananda
Saraswati
> (who is also the Sankaracharya of Dwaraka in the west) and Swami
> Vasudevananda Saraswati. Since 1993-4, another Sannyasin named
Madhava
> Asrama has been a third claimant to the Jyotirmath title.
>
> [Since this article was written, the courts have decided against
Swami