--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > rightly say though.
> > meditation.
> > > >

> > > What's interesting, at very least as history, is
> > that it appears
> > > Advaita Vedanta--both that of Shankara and his
> > paramguru Gaudapada
> > owe
> > > a lot to Buddhism. Tell me, where can you find you
> > find the
> > concept of
> > > "maya" in any of the main Upanishads,
> > Bhagavad-gita or the
> > Badarayana
> > > sutras? You can't. Gaudapada and Shankara are both
> > dependent on
> > > Nagarjuna's teaching of maya in Madhyamika.>>>
> >
> > The concept of Maya is clearly stated in the Rig
> > Veda Richo Akshare
> > verse, and many other places. It is a constant
> > theme, and to say
> > that Buddha invented it is absurd.
> >
> > Richo Akshare  Parame Vyoman  Yasmin Deva
> > Adhivishve Nisheduh
> > Yastanna Veda Kimricha Karishyati Ya It tad vidus
> > Ta ime samasate
>
> Help me out here, where do you find the concept of
> "maya" in the above sanskrit quote? Maya is simply a
> term used to label how that which is "not" can appear
> to "be".

It is obvious from several directions and levels, and is the basis
or main theme of all the Vedas and Upanishads.

The most obvious is that "he who is without the Ved (pure
consciousnes) cannot accomplish knowledge through the verses". He is
self-deluded , or to put it in your terms, is under the illusion
that that which appears to him to be the truth, is in fact an
illusion. This is the basis of the concept of Maya. He who is
unaware of the ocean of pure intelligence which pervades the
universe, assumes that the surface level of life (or assumes that
sanskrit words) is the whole of knowledge. It can be called
ignorance.
The Budhhist concept of Maya is a superficial distortion of the
Vedic concept of ignorance, that in the Vedic view, naturally
precedes the natural and timely unfoldment of moksha.