--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter Sutphen
[...]
> Good assessment instruments for self-report measures
> take a good amount of time to develop because of the
> above problems. The questions need to have low face
> validity (i.e., it is not self-evident what is a
> "good" or a "bad " response). The recent "research" on
> northern entrances vs. southern entrances is a good
> example of this. If subjects know that a northern
> entrance is "good" then they will report more good
> things happening to them.

The following tests were used. I'm not competent to assess their
value or appropriateness. They were mailed to the participants, I
understand:

3.1.2. Test Instruments

3.1.2.1. Inner/outer orientation. Baruss developed this scale to
quantify a subjects worldview along an outer/inner,
material/transcendental dimension

3.1.2.2. Moral reasoning. Gibbs Socio-Moral Reflection Measure-Short
Form (SMR-SF)

3.1.2.3. Anxiety levels. Spielbergers State/Trait Anxiety (STAI)

3.1.2.4. Personality. The International Personality Item Pool (IPIP)
was used to measure personality.

3.1.3. Data analysis: scoring of psychological tests The tests of
inner/outer orientation, state/trait anxiety, and personality were
scored using standard templates. Gibbss moral reasoning protocols
were sent to trained scorers. The scorers met the requirements for
reliability in scoring, set forth in Appendices B and C in Gibbss
manual, (Gibbs et al., 1992).