The SSRI's (Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Lexipro, etc.) are pretty good drugs for
lessening the symptoms of clinical depression. Their most common side effect is
some weight gain and reduced libido. But the impact they have on you might
vary, that is why you want to work with a good psychiatrist who will listen to
your feedback and adjust the meds when needed. As Ruth notes here, I'd avoid
"herbal" remedies because they don't work. Hell, you have nothing to loose by
trying them, but they don't work.