--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <lengli...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rflex@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:

> > > Well, that assumes that intelligent design and TM theory (as presented in
> > > terms of
> > > a relaxation program) are on a similar level.
> >

> > It doesn't matter, Lawson. What they have in common is that they are both
> > dishonest attempts to sneak religious-based ideology or practice into the
> > public school system.
> >

> You're assuming that TM, by its own existence, is a religious practice that>
> is impossible to divorce from the cultural antecedents that MMY brought with
> it.
>
> Speaking as a Unitarian-Universalist who is quite willing to say "itakimasu"
> with> his japanese friends before a meal, even though that literally means
> "thanks> to all that have brought us this meal [from the Lord God, to the
> spirits of the>  land to the farmers who grew the food]" without insisting
> that it is a religious> ceremony, I think that you are wrong here.

You can think what you like Lawson. Taking the standard fraudulent TMO party
line comes easily to one who's steeped in it.

> > > I don't think that that is the case.
> > >
> > > There's no way to justify intellligent design as being "scientific" but
> > > its certainly
> > > plausible to justify "quiet time" as being worthy. The question is: is TM
> > > a more worthy quiet time than something else, and the answer is:
> > > what does it matter?
> >

> > This so-called "quiet time" is just a disguise, Lawson, for the TMO to
> > incorporate TM into the public school system. You're not fooling anyone.
> >

> Yes, but it allows for ANY quiet time to be incorporated during that same
> period,> not just the DLF's.

If you offer a "quiet time" you can not mention TM at all without the obvious
implication that it's being promoted.

> > >  FOr the participants, TM quiet time costs no more than
> > > any other quiet time. The entire thing is funded by the DLF and any
> > > school> participation is only to the level that they would have for
> > > sponsoring any other> quiet time in that same school.

> > >  To you. THe TM organization touts TM as being a better quiet time than>
> > > others, while admitting that other quiet times may be of value as well.
> > > The ID people may tout ID as an "alternative theory" but don't give
> > > any case of the argument against partaking in that theory int he first
> > > place.
> >

> > > The only way you can make the situations analogous is to show where TM>
> > > is WORSE for kids than simply sitting and reading a book.
> >

> > Nope. What they have in common is that they are both dishonest attempts to
> > sneak religious-based ideology or practice into the public school system.
> >

> See above. TM is only religious because people insist that it is.

That's because anyone with half a brain can plainly see, after looking behind
the fraudulent TMO schlock and snake oil dance, that TM is indeed inextricably
tied into the Hindu religion.

> In the context of a stress-management program for kids, its no more religious
> than saying "thanks everyone" at the start of a meal. Probably less.

> > > There are no imediate cases because no Malnak has stepped forward to
> > > be a spokesperson for "Americans United for Separation of Church and
> > > State".
> >

> > While I don't see why the Americans United can't initiate the lawsuit on
> > their own, I don't doubt that there WILL be a 'Malnak' if this issue
> > reaches a sufficient level of public awareness and the TMO doesn't simply
> > sneak by and get away with their typical hokey snow job.
> >

> Except at the first sign of a Malnak, they withdraw completely.

> > > Sure, but will they be able to in the context of how it is being
> > > presented?> With no legal standing, no lawsuit can be brought.
> >

> > The you-can't-miss-it-elephant-in-the-room legal standing is that MMY's
> > Transcendental Meditation itself is without question deeply and elaborately
> > religious-based - and because of that it should not be incorporated into
> > the US public education system.
>

> Sez you: thanks everyone.

Anyone with half a brain can plainly see, after looking behind the fraudulent
TMO schlock and snake oil dance, that TM is indeed inextricably tied into the
Hindu religion - and because of that it should not be incorporated into the US
public education system.

> > ==As a teacher trained by MMY, I personally consider TM to be a gift from
> > God to humanity. The primary issue here is *NOT* the value of TM. It's the
> > underlying fundamental principle of maintaining the separation of church
> > and state in a democracy that's paid for by and was set up to represent and
> > include *ALL* Americans from *EVERY* faith and *NO* faith.
>

> Thanks everyone.

I don't claim to speak for "everyone" Lawson. But I will say again that anyone
with half a brain can plainly see, after looking behind the fraudulent TMO
schlock and snake oil dance, that TM is indeed inextricably tied into the Hindu
religion - and because of that it should not be incorporated into the US public
education system.

If you really think otherwise, I'd say that you're lying to yourself - which is
characteristic of cultish thinking by true believers in groups who are zealous
to promote their ideologies - especially ones who claim special *exclusive* and
*universally* applicable benefits.

> > Many religions offer off-campus instruction for students and coordinate
> > class times with the public school. But those religious facilities and
> > their curriculum have no connection to the public school system itself or
> > its purpose. Why doesn't the TMO pursue that avenue?==

> Shrug. AN agenda to get a non-culturally based relaxation technique

That's an incomplete and misleadingly false premise, Lawson. I'm a MMY trained
TM teacher and know directly that what you're saying simply isn't true.

What's wrong with offering TM off-campus? You could openly include the whole
range of TMO Vedic teachings and offerings to the students without all the time
worrying about having to scientifically justify and/or hide it.

> accepted in the school system is perfectly laudibe, even if the people with>
> the agenda have more than one perspective.
>
> Do you really think tha tLunch and Marcarney are looking on TM as closet
> hinduism?

It doesn't matter what Lynch and McCartney think. The fact remains that TM is
indeed deeply and inextricably tied into the Hindu religion - and because of
that it should not be incorporated into the US public education system.

To preach otherwise is to perpetuate what's been wrong with the TMO all along -
not telling the full open truth about TM and trying to hide it behind claims
like, as you have just done, that it's a merely a relaxation technique. It
isn't.

IN REALITY -as it is- with the dismal state of the essentially insignificant
and relatively nonexistent current TMO, I don't think TM is *EVER* going to be
wholesale included in *ANY* public school system. After how badly it's lost any
observable importance in the public arena, other than to be seen as a quirky
oddity not unlike the Moonies or the Rajneeshies, it doesn't have a rat's ass
of a chance to get anywhere on a large scale.