><snip>
> HUMANS do stupid shit. That does not mean that
> they are incapable of doing smart shit, or even
> the occasional good shit. I'd be willing to bet
> that Adolf Hitler did one or two good things
> in his life. Can you concede that possibility,
> or was he ALL EVIL?

I don't know Hitler but my guess is that he was all evil and the good things he
might have done were for reasons that had nothing to do with goodness.

> I think that using the word "evil" is an attempt
> to claim absolutes where there are none. And more
> often than not, it is also an attempt to excuse
> one of the lower emotions in the person who is
> using the term.
>
> "He is evil, so I hate him." Well, isn't hate evil?
>
> "He is evil, so I think he should be executed in
> public." Well, isn't killing evil?
>
> "He is evil, so he should be thrown in prison,
> where I hope he will be raped and tortured." See
> your own statement above. If you were to believe
> this, then wouldn't you be just as guilty of
> justifying rape and torture as the person you
> called evil above? And wouldn't you have prob-
> ably felt calculatingly rational *as* you
> justified it?

 I do not wish evil on anyone.  I do not support the death penalty precisely
because I find it debasing.  I do not want anyone to be raped or tortured even
if they raped or tortured. But I still believe that some people are evil.  You
of course are free to disagree.  Ever meet any murdering psychopaths? I have.
Meet any child rapists?  I have.