From: Duveyoung <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Ron Paul on Global Warming
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 6:42 PM

Mike,

If we focus on cleaning up pollution but don't do anything about how that
pollution is created, that's half-assed, right?

The cost of cleaning up needs to be factored into pricing. Right now
corporations make profit by not paying for the cost-to-society of their
products. If we paid the true cost of maintaining our highways via gas taxes,
we'd be paying, what?, $10/gallon? Maybe. But BigOil doesn't have to pay for
road upkeep or the hospital bills of those who are dying from asthma.

If we put a carbon tax on stuff, it makes the corporations have to find ways to
stop pollution. What alternate method do you suggest?

And, your portrayal of America being so much better off than 3rd world nations
on the garbage issue is hardly a useful comparison. While India etc. have
massive garbage in the streets, America makes that pale when we compare India's
pollution to our toxic dumps and what we put into the ocean as an industrial
nation. Our production of truly toxic materials is to Indian garbage as nukes
are to bullets.

It is the insanity of the consumer feeding frenzy that drives most of this. I
drive an eleven year old car even though I can afford a new one every year. I
don't need a new car to symbolize anything to the world, ya see? But the whole
world is quite unable to resist the "new, improved, better, faster" line of
products that add nothing new except newness to folks who already have older
products that do the trick. Keep up with the Jones or you're a lower-class
citizen...like that.

Consider how little of a carbon imprint anyone really has to create to sustain
a simple lifestyle, and then consider the typical expenditures of the typical
person-with- recreational- capital. Going into a lesser state of
industrialization just makes sense, but the marketing forces extant are
powerful shapers of consumer consciousness. The American Dream isn't a home and
a chicken in every pot, it's several mansions, servants, air-conditioned
garages for their fleet of cars, and restaurant sized kitchens with freezers
filled with selected cuts from Angus steers.

2/3rds of the world survives on a bowl of rice a day. Shame on us. Shame on the
pollution. Shame on murderous blind corporate industry.

Edg