Okay, we're in harmony maybe on the pollution issue in general, but I seem to
be far closer to "shut it all down and let the world re-order itself" than you
are.

I've got money in the markets, and if the economy tanks, the corporations I
have stock in will suffer mightily, and anyone in my position took a hefty IRA
hit with the present crisis.  And though my holdings have recovered a goodly
portion of the losses I took last year, I know that it's all an illusion that's
easily poofed -- ask any car dealer who's just been dropped by G.M. what their
many-generations family business meant to them and what they thought they had
for a secure future. I could be broke tomorrow if it all goes to hell.

Yet, I say, let the BigCorp-cannot-fail concept be put to the proof.  Layoff
tens of millions, have bread lines around the block, have riots, have
formerly-rich folks taking ten-story swan dives, have schools close, have pot
holes the size of grizzly dens, have it all and get some serious national
consciousness put on the goal of finding a truly sustainable lifestyle that
doesn't harm the environment or force governments to go steal 1/3 of the
world's oil reserves from Iraq at the cost of murdering one million women and
children.

It's all such a fucking mess, it would be a relief to shut it down and start
all over with that disaster fresh in everyone's mind.

The world simply cannot sustain an American lifestyle for everyone without the
skies going to black, the oceans to a mucky ooze, and the dirt to a toxic combo
that's as yucky to plants as gum under a theater seat.

Yeah, we had our American fun, and no one else gets to do that, and that's not
fair, but that's the bottom line: starting now we need to face a future in
which some folks just don't have a job -- maybe for a lifetime, and what are we
going to do about that?  Are we going to continue to fuck over the Earth in
order for everyone to have a chance to have a new car every two years?  What're
our values? -- a question no culture asks if it's not forced to.

Obama's trying to keep the Titanic from sinking, and we all still think he's
got a shot at it, but why?  We're addicted to our luxuries and that attachment
skews our POVs until we'd rather believe in Obama than face the fears he's
facing and see that we're bereft of solutions.

Frankly, when gas went to $4.00, it was a wonderful hit on our group
consciousness. Suddenly it paid to not buy anything or go anywhere, and even
though gas went back down to under two bucks, we all rather liked tightening
our belts and putting off major purchases.  It was so nice to see everyone
taking a step back from consumerism.  Thank you overly greedy BigOil! You
showed us that we could at least survive not going on a bigass vacation, and,
that much of our spending was on luxuries disguised as must-haves.

As for global warming, if it's true, sooner or later, we're going to have yet
another bad year with four major hurricanes hitting the US coasts.  Give us
another Katrina, and I think everyone will convert to the global warming dogma.
 I can wait until then.

Truth be told, shame on us for even having to debate the issue. If we'd all
been good citizens, if Congress had been vigilant instead of bought off, the
pollution issue would be merely about how much of a fine we should impose on
someone horking a loogie on the public sidewalk.

Long long, so long ago, we knew the trouble we were brewing.  Shit, the first
monkey to throw a rock had a monkey next to him go "WTF are you doing Bongo?
Don't you see where this will end up?"

It's all the fault of women of course.  If they'd stamped their feet and shook
their curls back in the Stone Age, tribal warfare would never have evolved into
National Tribes Warring.  And if they'd said, "No Honey, this old cave is good
enough," then Korackaghga wouldn't have had to kill extra mammoths to get the
ivory to carve into trinkets to trade with the Mordits across the river for
their oh-so-hep cave entrance curtains.

I'm just sayin'!

Edg