> > > Let him say: "I witnessed what appeared to me to be
levitation",
> > > not 'I witnessed REAL levitation'.
> > >
> > > I don't like being bullshitted.
> >
> > He experienced that the levitation was real - why not just
accept
> > that?
>
> The levitation I and thousands of other people witnessed
> *was* real.  We saw it.  We felt it.
>
> Shemp's upset because our experience doesn't match
> his fantasy of what such an experience "should" be like,

My "fantasy"?

All I'm asking for is a reasonably honest employment of the
word "real".

> For those with more open minds, here's the deal.  What
> I experienced was obviously (because not everyone
> saw it) a phenomenon that has at least a partially subjec-
> tive aspect to it.

"Partially subjective"...that's real big of you, Unc, to concede
that a phenomenon that you originally claimed was "real" -- and one,
by the way, if it actually occurred, would not rival by SURPASS in
its importance for mankind the Moon Landing -- just may not have
happened as "real" as 100% of reasonable and rational people would
expect that word to be used.

>  However, *enough* people saw it -- many
> of them people off the street with no expectations and no
> prior suggestion having been made about what they might
> or might not see -- to indicate that something was going on.

I was channel-surfing this morning and came by this new magician
show on A&E -- I think it's called "MindFreak" -- in which the star
of the show does incredible levitating for the camera.

Well, we all know that it is NOT real...that it is magic of some
sort.  Yet not just "enough" people saw him do this magic but
virtually 100% of everyone who saw him perform his magic saw him
lift-off.

But would any serious person describe the experience as a "real"
levitation?

> There *might* be levitation that extends to the physical
> plane,

...then don't use the word "real", please.

> and which could be recorded by videocameras and
> measured by instruments.  I don't know.  I do know what I
> experienced, and it was pretty neat.

...so was the magic show I saw on TV....

> I *also* understand the factors that lead some people to
> dump on such experiences when they are reported.  Some
> of it is rigidity (fear that the world might not actually work the
> way they imagine it to).  Some of it is self importance or
> group self importance ("If it didn't happen in a TM context
> it can't be real").  Some of it in this case is past indoctrination
> from a.m.t., where the game is and has been for years for a
> few people to demonize and attempt to discredit the people
> they don't like.

The question is one of honesty in the use of words.  Instead of
trying to fool people into believing that you had actually
witnessed "real" levitation you should have said something to the
effect: 'hey, I was/am heavily brainwashed by a messianic cult
figure who hypnotized me into believing that the magic tricks that
he perpetrated on me and others were real...just like Doug Henning".

> The thing is, this reaction or a similar one would've come
> up on ANY forum in which I posted my honest experiences.
>
> The larger question is what someone who HAS experienced
> stuff like this should do.

You should enjoy the magic show and, like Doug Henning suggests,
enjoy the "wonder" of it all.  But leave the show knowing that
you've seen magic and not "reality".

>  Shemp's advice is that I should lie,
> or lay low, and never mention anything about it.

No, Shemp's advice is that you should not try to pump up your ego by
trying to deceive people by misusing the English language.

>  Sorry, but
> I don't feel the need to do that, just because someone gets
> their rigidity buttons pushed by hearing something that doesn't
> jibe with his preconceptions.

Yes I am very rigid about people lying and manipulating the use of
words. Guilty as charged.