--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" <raviyogi@...> wrote:

<snip>
> > Most of us here are in pain; it ain't just Barry by any means.
> > Not all of us are in denial about it, however. Some of us
> > understand Patanjali's assertion as a fundamental truth even
> > if we haven't yet been able to acknowledge all our pain, or
> > to transcend it.
>
> I'm quite perplexed at Barry and others insistence on lack
> of pain. That there's nothing to do and they can
> intellectually deceive themselves in to a "so-called" non-
> enlightened enlightened state. Thats why I say most are
> happy to band-aid their wounds through intellectual
> deception and/or increased indulgence and continue on.

I think one possible explanation may be that some such
people endured an enormous amount of pain very early in
their lives and had to deny it to survive. The habit of
denial became so ingrained in their psyche that they've
never been able to acknowledge pain even as adults, lest
the slightest chink in the wall they've built allow all
that early pain to come spilling out. The only way they
know how to deal with pain is to deny it.

I suspect this is more common with men than with women.
The whole culture reinforces the equation of denial of
pain with strength and masculinity right from childhood.
And some subcultures practically make a fetish of it,
such as sports and the military.