--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

>From Bhojadeva's comment on YS II 15

> As (yathaa) an eyeball (akSi-paatram?) experiences (anubhavati)
> great (mahatiim) pain (piiDaam) by mere (maatreNa) touch (sparsha)
> of a fiber (tantu) of wool (uurNaa), so (tathaa) a viveki "udvij-s"
> (see footnote 3 above) in connection (anubandhena) with even (api)
> a minute (svalpa) (amount of) duHkha. (That's) not (the case with)
> the rest of the body (na+itara-an.gaM: not other limbs).

It seems to me, vivekin (nom. sing: vivekii) in that suutra (II 15)
refers to someone who, in TM lingo, is "unstressing".

The next suutra goes like this:

heyaM duHkham anaagatam (II 16; tr. by Dr. Taimni)

The misery (duHkham) which is not yet come (anaagatam)
can and is to be avoided (heyam).

Suutra II 26 states:

viveka-khyaatir aviplavaa haanopayaH (haana+upaayaH).

I urge everyone to find their favorite translation of
this suutra.

IMHO, it might describe, what's in TM lingo called "Cosmic Consciousness"
(turiiyaatiita[turiiya+ati+ita]-cetanaa)

Anyhoo, there's that compound word 'viveka-khyaatiH'[sic!] which
proves, sort of, that 'vivekin' in II 15 can't refer to
a "realized" individual??

Just for fun, note that the word 'viveka-khyaatiH' (in abl./gen.
sing: viveka-khyaateH[sic!]) appears also in IV 29, which
"introduces" dharma-megha-samaadhi, the highest(?) stage of
samaadhi:

prasaMkhyaane 'py akusiidasya sarvathaa *viveka-khyaater*
dharma-meghaH samaadhiH.