The Arab refugees exist....but they're *NOT* Palestinian, there is NO
such thing. Palestine is a province named by the Romans after
Philistia, in, then, southern Judea.  Basically, they'll all Arabs,
or Jordanian, etc. NO such thing as a Palestinian, that's propoganda.

The term *Palestinian* didn't even come in to popular use until, post
1948.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wmurphy77 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > the *JEWS* bought most of the land from
> > absentie lanlords (Arabs), it was nothing but barren. The JEWS
made
> > it what it is today....isn't that reason enough? (Plus having been
> there since the beginning of time).
>

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > My answer was
> > quite serious.  Anyone who thinks that God had more to do
> > with the initial Jewish invasion of the "Promised Land" than the
> > better weapons and strategy employed by the Jewish people
> > when they arrived is not thinking rationally.
> >
> > They [Jews in Israel] invaded a land that was already occupied and
> > quite productive and killed or enslaved pretty much everyone
> > there.  Because "God gave it" to them?
>
> Well, you both can't be right! :) As usual, its a bit more complex
and
> nuanced. Some additional and contracting views, plus a bit of
history.

> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
file=/c/a/2002/01/02/MN70515.DTL
> [...]
> refugees for a wider political agenda.
>
> 'In a time of peace, Israel will be ready to take part in the effort
> to heal the wounds of war out of goodwill, friendship and good
> neighborliness -- and under no circumstances out of feelings of
guilt
> or responsibility for causing the conflict,' Barak told Parliament
> last year.
>

> http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/refugees.html
> The Palestinians left their homes in 1947-48 for a variety of
reasons.
> Thousands of wealthy Arabs left in anticipation of a war, thousands
> more responded to Arab leaders' calls to get out of the way of the
> advancing armies, a handful were expelled, but most simply fled to
> avoid being caught in the cross fire of a battle. Had the Arabs
> accepted the 1947 UN resolution, not a single Palestinian would have
> become a refugee and an independent Arab state would now exist
beside
> Israel.
>
> The beginning of the Arab exodus can be traced to the weeks
> immediately following the announcement of the UN partition
resolution.
> The first to leave were roughly 30,000 wealthy Arabs who anticipated
> the upcoming war and fled to neighboring Arab countries to await its
> end. Less affluent Arabs from the mixed cities of Palestine moved to
> all-Arab towns to stay with relatives or friends.
>
> All of those who left fully anticipated being able to return to
their
> homes after an early Arab victory, as Palestinian nationalist Aref
> el-Aref explained in his history of the 1948 war:
>
>     The Arabs thought they would win in less than the twinkling of
an
> eye and that it would take no more than a day or two from the time
the
> Arab armies crossed the border until all the colonies were conquered
> and the enemy would throw down his arms and cast himself on their
mercy.

> By the end of January1948, the exodus was so alarming the Palestine
> Arab Higher Committee asked neighboring Arab countries to refuse
visas
> to these refugees and to seal the borders against them.
>
> Meanwhile, Jewish leaders urged the Arabs to remain in Palestine and
> become citizens of Israel. The Assembly of Palestine Jewry issued
this
> appeal on October 2, 1947:
>
>     We will do everything in our power to maintain peace, and
> establish a cooperation gainful to both [Jews and Arabs]. It is now,
> here and now, from Jerusalem itself, that a call must go out to the
> Arab nations to join forces with Jewry and the destined Jewish State
> and work shoulder to shoulder for our common good, for the peace and
> progress of sovereign equals.
>
> On November 30, the day after the UN partition vote, the Jewish
Agency
> announced: "The main theme behind the spontaneous celebrations we
are
> witnessing today is our community's desire to seek peace and its
> determination to achieve fruitful cooperation with the Arabs...."
>

> http://www.ngo-
monitor.org/editions/v3n06/NGOsPromotePalestinianPositionOnRefugeesPar
t1.htm
>  Refugee claims, resulting from the 1947-1948 and 1967 wars, are
among
> the most divisive and intractable issues in the Israeli-Palestinian
> conflict. While the Palestinian political leadership consistently
> claims a 'right of return', (often couched in terms such
as "historic
> justice") others see this as equivalent to seeking the destruction
of
> Israel. (Legal Aspects of the Palestinian Refugee Question, Ruth
> Lapidoth) In many cases, prominent NGOs that claim to focus on human
> rights and humanitarian issues have added their voices and
formidable
> resources in support of the Palestinian position on this very
> sensitive subject. Similarly, they often repeat Palestinian claims
> regarding the numbers of people involved (the number of refugees
from
> the 1947/8 war was approximately 650,000; estimates regarding the
> number of descendants vary considerably.) In Part 1 of its analysis
on
> this issue, NGO Monitor surveys the position of prominent
> international NGOs, including policy regarding Jewish refugees who
> fled Arab countries after 1947. Part 2 will examine BADIL, and other
> Palestinian NGO organizations that promote the "right of return".
>
> INTERNATONAL NGOs
>
> Amnesty International covers issues related to Middle East refugees
in
> great detail, including Iran and Iraq. Regarding the Palestinians,
> this NGO calls on Middle East governments to "Ensure that the right
> return or compensation for Palestinian refugees is respected: these
> rights should be given a high priority in the Middle East peace
process."

> http://www.thejerusalemfund.org/carryover/pubs/19990802ftr.html
> 2 August 1999—When asked what the solution to the Arab-Israeli
water
> conflict might be, Thomas Stauffer, guest speaker at a 22 July 1999
> Center luncheon meeting, responded with swift, authoritative candor:
> The solution, he proclaimed, is "war."
>
> However grim, Stauffer's insights into what he calls the "zero-sum
> game" of Arab-Israeli water rights are as informed as they are
stark.
> An internationally recognized authority on energy and water issues,
he
> is currently involved in an initiative to develop formulas for
> compensating Palestinians whose resources have been expropriated by
> Israel. This is made more difficult by the fact that Israel refuses
> even to recognize that it has illegally occupied Palestinian land.
In
> fact, Israel clearly maintains that it should never be held
> accountable for stolen resources. If such an accounting were made,
> Israel would insist that "someone else" should pay for it.
>
> Stauffer's comprehensive approach to this poorly understood subject
is
> grounded in international law. Stressing that the complexity of the
> issues fueling the Arab-Israeli conflict and the compelling scarcity
> of water resources demand painstaking research and
> documentation—particularly as the peace process approaches
"final
> status" negotiations—Stauffer bemoaned the absence of such
attention
> to detail on the Palestinian side, referring to Palestinian
> negotiators "who do less homework than most freshmen." Stumbling as
> they are toward a virtual surrender of their national aspirations,
> these negotiators would do well to buttress their legitimate claims
> with facts. Barring this, the diametrically opposite position of
> Israel, clearly the more powerful party, will seal the Palestinians'
> fate and leave them beholden to their occupier.
>
> Should this happen, Israel's possession of what Stauffer calls the
> "spoils of [the 1967] war" will become legitimized by an
international
> agreement. "The price of peace," said Stauffer, will then become
> apparent. For if Israel is to compromise on its control of water
> resources, it will do so only with compensation, as was the case
with
> Israel's withdrawal from the Sinai after the 1967 war; while
mandated
> by international law, this withdrawal was ultimately secured with
> U.S.-paid compensation for oil fields the Israelis were "giving up."
> Similarly, if the Palestinians manage to broker a deal involving
> access to water or compensation for expropriated resources, Israel
> would likely not have to pay.
>

> http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2000/428/428p14.htm
> I am a card-carrying Palestinian. The card is a small orange
identity
> card. This card doesn't so much prove my Palestinian identity as
mark
> me out as a subject of Israel's occupation. The card decides where I
> can and can't go in the land of my people. The Israeli authorities
use
> it to stop me from going to Jerusalem or wherever else I please.
>
> The Palestinian refugees, officially numbering 4 million out of an
> estimated total world Palestinian population of 8.5 million people,
> have spent 50 years living as refugees. Various institutions
> acknowledge Palestinians as refugees, but few have acted in any
> significant way to solve their plight. The UN Relief and Works
Agency
> [...]
nor
> did it decide on ways of its implementation. Instead, on November
12,
> 1948, with Resolution 194 (III)it decided to set up a United Nations
> Conciliation Commission, reiterated the decision on
> internationalization of Jerusalem, and laid down several principles
on
> the refugee question.
>
> Since the War of Independence was still going on, most of Resolution
> 194 deals with seeking a diplomatic solution to the conflict,
> including setting up an international Conciliation Commission to
> mediate between the parties. The refugees are mentioned only in
> Article 11, which resolved:
>
>     * ... that the refugees wishing to return to their homes and
live
> at peace with their neighbors should be permitted to do so at the
> earliest practicable date, and that compensation should be paid for
> the property of those choosing not to return and for loss of or
damage
> to property which, under principles of international law or in
equity,
> should be made good by the Governments or authorities responsible.
>
> Article 11 also instructed the Conciliation Commission:
>
>     * ... to facilitate the repatriation, resettlement and economic
> and social rehabilitation of the refugees and the payment of
compensation.

> Palestinian Arabs constantly repeat claims of rights based on
> Resolution 194, in particular the right to return to lands that are
> now part of the State of Israel. That position has no basis,
certainly
> not in Resolution 194. General Assembly resolutions, unlike those of
> the Security Council, are non-binding and essentially are only
> suggestions. Resolution 194 does not use the language of "rights" or
> "right of return". The resolution does not specify the nationality
of
> the refugees; recall that the Palestinian Arab refugees, who
> voluntarily left Israel at the urging of their leaders, are
> approximately equal in number to the Jews who fled persecution from
> Arab countries. Any "right of return" or right to compensation is
> equally present in Resolution 194 for Arabs and Jews. Since the
> resolution also specifies that its recommendations would apply to
> refugees who wish "to live at peace with their neighbors," Arabs
would
> be excluded. It was the Arabs who began the war in 1947 and they
> continue to be at war with Israel today.
>
> The present-day insistance on a "Right of Return" by Palestinians
is a
> transparent attempt to eliminate Israel by means other than war. If
> all the refugee Palestinian Arabs, and their descendents, are given
> the right to return to Israel, then Israel quickly becomes a country
> with a Jewish minority. The majority Arabs would put an end to
Israel
> without delay. Therefore, any ultimate resolution of this issue will
> certainly be in terms of limited return (perhaps limited to the few
> living Arabs who actually once resided in Israel) plus a forumula of
> compensation for both Arabs and Jews who were displaced by events
> surrounding the 1948 War of Independence.
>

> http://www.aish.com/Israel/articles/the_refugee_issue_p.asp
> In the 1948 war, 600,000 Jewish refugees were expelled from Arab
lands
> including Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and
> Morocco -- leaving behind an estimated $30 billion in assets. These
> Jewish refugees were welcomed by Israel, and with their 2 million
> descendants, they now comprise a majority population of the State of
> Israel.
>
> In the same war, an equal number of Palestinians refugees fled to
Arab
> countries, primarily Jordan and Egypt. From 1948-67, these refugees
> were left in squalid camps by their host society, Jordan and Egypt.
> The United Nations estimates that they and their descendents now
> number about 3.7 million -- living in the West Bank and Gaza,
Lebanon,
> Jordan, and throughout the Western World.
>
> Yasser Arafat demands the "right of return" for all 3.7 million
> Palestinians to within the borders of the State of Israel.
>
> Israel maintains that these refugees primarily left of their own
> accord, and that Palestinian demands that these refugees be absorbed
> into the State of Israel is just a political move to destroy the
> Jewish state through demographics.
>
> In the Gaza Strip today, 420,000 Palestinians still live in squalid
> refugee camps, under full jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority.
>
> Who is responsible for these refugees?
>
> IN THEIR OWN WORDS
>
> Did Israel forcibly evict these 600,000 Arabs from their homes in
> 1948? Or did they leave voluntarily? This is the salient question.
>
> Here is a collection of historical quotations from Arab leaders,
> relating to these Palestinian refugees:
>
> On April 23, 1948 Jamal Husseini, acting chairman of the Palestine
> Arab Higher Committee (AHC), told the UN Security Council:
>
>     "The Arabs did not want to submit to a truce... They preferred
> abandon their homes, belongings and everything they possessed."
>
> On September 6, 1948, the Beirut Daily Telegraph quoted Emil Ghory,
> secretary of the Palestine Arab Higher Committee, as saying:
>
>     "The fact that there are those refugees is the direct
consequence
> of the action of the Arab states in opposing partition and the
Jewish
> state. The Arab states agreed upon this policy unanimously..."
>
> On October 2, 1948, the London Economist reported, in an eyewitness
> account of the flight of Haifa's Arabs:
>
>     "There is little doubt that the most potent of the factors [in
the
> flight] were the announcements made over the air by the Arab Higher
> Executive urging all Arabs in Haifa to quit... And it was clearly
> intimated that those Arabs who remained in Haifa and accepted Jewish
> protection would be regarded as renegades."
>
> The Jordanian daily Falastin wrote on February 19, 1949:
>
>     "The Arab states... encouraged the Palestinian Arabs to leave
> their homes temporarily in order to be out of the way of the Arab
> invasion armies."
>
> On June 8, 1951, Habib Issa, secretary-general of the Arab League,
> wrote in the New York Lebanese daily al-Hoda that in 1948, Azzam
> Pasha, then League secretary, had...
>
>     "...assured the Arab peoples that the occupation of Palestine
and
> of Tel Aviv would be as simple as a military promenade... Brotherly
> advice was given to the Arabs of Palestine to leave their land,
homes
> and property, and to stay temporarily in neighboring fraternal
states."

> On April 9, 1953, the Jordanian daily al-Urdun quoted a refugee,
Yunes
> Ahmed Assad, formerly of Deir Yassin, as saying:
>
>     "For the flight and fall of the other villages, it is our
leaders
> who are responsible, because of the dissemination of rumors
> exaggerating Jewish crimes and describing them as atrocities in
order
> to inflame the Arabs... they instilled fear and terror into the
hearts
> of the Arabs of Palestine until they fled, leaving their homes and
> property to the enemy."
>
> Another refugee told the Jordanian daily a-Difaa on September 6,
1954:
> "The Arab governments told us, 'Get out so that we can get in.' So
we
> got out, but they did not get in."
>
> Former Prime Minister of Syria, Khaled al-Azem, in his memoirs,
> published in 1973, listed what he thought were the reasons for the
> Arab failure in 1948:
>
>     "The fifth factor was the call by the Arab governments to the
> inhabitants of Palestine to evacuate it and leave for the bordering
> Arab countries... We brought destruction upon a million Arab
refugees
> by calling on them and pleading with them to leave their land."
>
> In the March 1976 issue of "Falastin a-Thaura," then the official
PLO
> journal, PLO spokesman Mahmud Abbas ("Abu Mazen") wrote:
>
>     "The Arab armies entered Palestine to protect the Palestinians
> from the Zionist tyranny but, instead, they abandoned them, forced
> them to emigrate and to leave their homeland, and threw them into
> prisons similar to the ghettos in which the Jews used to live."
>
> British Foreign Office Document #371/75342/XC/A/4991 records:
>
>     "Following a visit to refugees in Gaza, a British diplomat
> reported the following: 'But while they express no bitterness
against
> the Jews... they speak with the utmost bitterness of the Egyptians
and
> other Arab states: 'We know who our enemies are,' they will say, and
> they are referring to their Arab brothers who, they declare,
persuaded
> them unnecessarily to leave their homes."

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hggg6t9/M=364397.6958316.7892810.4764722/D=groups/S=1705171145:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123657129/A=2915264/R=0/SIG=11t7isiiv/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34443/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs";>Get
 fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
page</a></font>