On 01/03/2013 10:36 AM, salyavin808 wrote:

> [...]
>> Robert Svoboda.
>>
>> There are a lot of "cures" and "treatments" in allopathic disease
>> maintenance that parallel ayurveda or probably even owe their roots to
>> it and Chinese medicine.  This time of year we would usually take some
>> off the shelf cough and cold measures that have their roots in such
>> medicine.  The now defamed ephedrine is of course a synthetic derivation
>> of the herb ephedra which is used in Chinese medicine and ayurveda was
>> the principle decongestant in these.  It's defamed only because meth
>> cookers would buy it in bulk to make meth.  Now, if you want it you have
>> to register your purchase.  Of course, ephedra grows all over the US as
>> a weed.
>>
>> However due to ayurveda, unless I screw up somehow, I don't have to
>> reach for such a concoction.  If I start to experience even the
>> slightest sing of cold, cough or flu and little homemade kapha tea ( 1
>> part ginger, 1 part cinnamon, dash clove) will make it do a quick exit.
>> Adding a little black pepper will speed it up too.  Recipe courtesy of
>> Dr. Lad who has a lot of kitchen cures like that.
>>
>> Don't forget that "medicine for profit" Big Pharma patented the herb
>> neem.  Something outraged folks in India so they put together an
>> organization to patent all their herbs to keep corporations from doing
>> so.  I suspect big pharma would disagree with you about whether ayurveda
>> really works.
>>
>> Allopathic doctors are good for broken bones or other emergency
>> measures.  Most have little training in nutrition.  Most are merely drug
>> pushers for big pharma who isn't interested in curing a disease because
>> there's too much money in just maintenancing it.  I think of all the
>> billions raised over the years for those "cure" telethons and none of
>> those diseases are anywhere near cured.  Big pharma thanks all the marks
>> for that money.  By all rights a lot of those diseases should be history
>> by now.  A lot of them are curable with alternative medicine.
>>
>> And ayurveda isn't the only alternative form of medicine I've studied
>> but also Chinese in the form of macrobiotics (and not just the "eat
>> brown rice thang") and also metabolic typing which continues to be an
>> interest.  BTW, I recently bought Dr. Harold Kristal's "The Nutrition
>> Solution" which I think has the best explanation of metabolic typing.  I
>> found that book at Amazon and decided since I really didn't need a
>> pristine copy of it to get it used for 42 cents (plus $3.99 shipping).
>> The book arrived as if it had never even been thumbed through just as
>> good as new.
>>
>> Capitalism has done a lot of damage and it has particularly ruined
>> healthcare.
>
> Some good points Bhairitu, but none of them help my friend who is
> ill and the ones who died all of whom were very into AV, and saw
> all the Indian Dr's whenever they came over as they were close to the
> heart of the TMO and had been for decades.

First off, Vasant Lad in his book "The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home
Remedies" includes "when to see a doctor" on ailments.  Sounds like the
people you mention were taking ayurveda a little too religiously.  Like
I said, my ayurvedic practitioner was an MD.  He frequently commented on
some of the practitioners in the Bay Area who were really not qualified
to give advice on life and death situations.  Dr. Robert Svoboda is
known as one of the first American MDs to learn ayurvedic medicine.  Dr.
Dinesh Sharma, is a friend whose parents were MDs and his grandfather a
vaidya.  He learned ayurveda following his grandfather around. His
parents insisted though on an allopathic career so he is an MD but not
licensed to practice in the US because he has a family and couldn't
afford the two year in-residence requirement to be licensed in the US.
He is very good at simplifying the rules for ayurveda.

> I guess you are in the position of not having had anything go seriously wrong
> yet. Treating colds and minor ailments with herbs will have benefits for some
> but there is only so much you can do. As Raunchy says you've got to know when
> to quit.

You can treat a lot more than colds and ailments with ayurveda.  Do you
know that ayurveda even developed surgical techniques?  There has always
been a war between establishment medicine and alternative methods.  It's
always been about doctors protecting their money flow.  Did you know
that British MDs serving in India were banned from learning ayurveda
because they were going back to Britain and using those techniques and
upsetting the clique.

This will probably come off about as well as the arguments I get around
here from people who are against astrology whose clock I clean.  Most
have not ever learned astrology so they are talking out of their hat or
as we sometimes like to say "reviewing a movie without having seen it."
I don't know if you've taken any classes on ayurveda but it might be a
little hard to judge it if you don't know what it is about.

> I know more people who have died young in the TMO than in my other life.
> Can't draw anything from such a small sample and my TM friends
> are generally older, but if you adjust the figures I'm sure it would come out
> looking like longevity in the TMO isn't what you'd expect
> from the wild claims they make.

Several reasons.  Inappropriate vegetarianism which can make the blood
too alkaline and give rise to diseases like leukemia and melanoma.  I
have also suspected in some cases people actually overdoing vata
imbalance pharmacology which can make the blood too acid giving rise to
other diseases.  And some people just had congenital diseases which in
some case were predicted to take them out by the thirties but made it
into their fifties.

You're lucky you live in a country with single payer healthcare. The US
is a circus when it comes to healthcare and the profiteering very
obvious.  The best thing people can do is learn as much as they can
about alternative methods and use them to keep an eye on their body as
if it were a sports car they need to tune daily to run properly.