-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> Well now you have. It refers of course to the way the brain
> unifies sense data into a coherent picture of the world as
> a theatre that we are witnessing but when you look inside the
> brain, no such theatre exists. It's all a clever bit of wiring
> and sleight of hand. Or mind.

Damn clever that. Very damn clever. For wires.

"Who" (or "what") is fooled by the sleight?

It is undoubtedly the case that if I gaze at a picture
of Barry in a Parisian cafe some events occur in my brain.
But from that it doesn't follow that what I *really* see
are some events in my brain rather than Barry au cafe?

"The persuasive imagery of the Cartesian Theater keeps coming
back to haunt us — laypeople and scientists alike — even after
its ghostly dualism has been denounced and exorcized"

:: The often unacknowledged remnants of Cartesian dualism in
modern materialistic theories of the mind ::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_theater