--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:

> > > Well now you have. It refers of course to the way the brain
> > > unifies sense data into a coherent picture of the world as
> > > a theatre that we are witnessing but when you look inside the
> > > brain, no such theatre exists. It's all a clever bit of wiring
> > > and sleight of hand. Or mind.
> > >
> > > And nothing to do with physics in the way the mystics intend it.
> >
> > Er, um, salyavin, "unified field" has nothing to do with
> > neuroscience the way physicists intend it (Einstein coined
> > the term).
>
> I know, that was my point.
>
>  Neuroscience may have recently borrowed it, but
> > that it's a physics term is not something mystics dreamed
> > up; it's just a fact.
>
> No kidding.

Unfortunately, your disclaimers here don't fit very well
with your comment to Lawson quoted at the top.

> > As to your description of neuroscience's version: As PaliGap
> > asked, Who (or what) is being fooled by this clever sleight
> > of hand? Do your flip responses indicate that you don't have
> > a serious response?
>
> It was a serious response.

That's too bad.

> > It's kind of the $64,000 question, after all.
>
> For me, the serious question is why there is anything here
> at all.

You're right, that's probably the $64,001 question.

Has it ever occurred to you to wonder if they could
possibly be related?

> Once you've got your head round that the mechanics of how
> it all works will depend on measurement and an ability to
> accept that what we are looking at inside our brains

What *who* or *what* are looking at?

> translates into our conscious experiences.

Who or what is conscious of these experiences?

> We haven't worked it out yet but so what? That doesn't
> mean we have to go running to the paranormal just because
> we haven't got an explanation

Oh, crap, I'm not talking about "paranormal." I'm talking
hard-nosed philosophy.

> that's what kept our ancestors believing in god
> and astrology. It's a natural tendency but mistaken,
> especially as we can see individual thoughts as they
> occur.

As they occur *to whom* (or *to what*)?

> It's all globby and whirly and we are all going to have to deal
> with it sooner or later.

We can't deal with it until we realize the nature of
the problem.