> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>

> > > Hmmm... I've never heard a neuroscientist use the term
> > > "unified field" before at all.
> >
> > Well now you have. It refers of course to the way the brain
> > unifies sense data into a coherent picture of the world as
> > a theatre that we are witnessing but when you look inside the
> > brain, no such theatre exists. It's all a clever bit of wiring
> > and sleight of hand. Or mind.
> >
> > And nothing to do with physics in the way the mystics intend it.
>
> Er, um, salyavin, "unified field" has nothing to do with
> neuroscience the way physicists intend it (Einstein coined
> the term).

I know, that was my point.

 Neuroscience may have recently borrowed it, but
> that it's a physics term is not something mystics dreamed
> up; it's just a fact.

No kidding.

> As to your description of neuroscience's version: As PaliGap
> asked, Who (or what) is being fooled by this clever sleight
> of hand? Do your flip responses indicate that you don't have
> a serious response?

It was a serious response.

> It's kind of the $64,000 question, after all.

For me, the serious question is why there is anything here at all.
Once you've got your head round that the mechanics of how it all
works will depend on measurement and an ability to accept that what
we are looking at inside our brains translates into our conscious
experiences. We haven't worked it out yet but so what? That doesn't
mean we have to go running to the paranormal just because we haven't
got an explanation, that's what kept our ancestors believing in god
and astrology. It's a natural tendency but mistaken, especially as
we can see individual thoughts as they occur.

It's all globby and whirly and we are all going to have to deal
with it sooner or later.