--- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Strip clubs exploit women as sex objects.
> >
> > Yes and no. I've had several clients who were
> "exotic"
> > dancers and they absolutely hated the work, but
> loved
> > the money. What bothered them most was not their
> > nudity or physical contact with the men, but the
> > pretending to be attracted to and interested in
> the
> > men. Also the relating of the men to them as sex
> > objects was very wearing.
>
> What part of this is "no"--that they loved the
> money?  How is this not exploiting them as sex
> objects?

It's like taking a crappy, low-paying job. Are you
being exploited? In one way, yes, but you are choosing
to take the job. You don't have to take the job, so
the term "exploitation" is too strong.

> They didn't mind the nudity or physical contact,
> but they didn't like men relating to them as
> sex objects.  Er, how *else* are men going to
> relate to naked women who are having physical
> contact with them and pretending to be attracted
> to them in a strip club?

You need to see men in a strip club, which I doubt you
have. There is a lot of talking going on as well as
what would be expected.

> I don't really think you've got any "nos" in
> there, Peter.  You've got women working at a
> demeaning job because it's presumably the only
> way they can find to make a decent living.

The "exotic" dancers I saw as clients could get other
jobs (all of them had BA's or BS's) but they had drug
problems and personality disorders. It was an "easy "
way to make money quickly.

>snip
>
> And you really don't think it reflects
> negatively on Charlie Lutes that he
> participated in this kind of thing?

Not really. As a culture I think we are very confused
about sex and spirituality. Charlie's attempt to
cover-up his reason for being there, if it is true, is
more disturbing to me than him going to a strip club.

http://mail.yahoo.com