Why on earth would you be "thrilled"? The novels are quite well known.

 I asked you, "'Favorite character'? You mean like kids have a favorite
character in the Harry Potter novels?" because I couldn't believe I had
understood you correctly. I have never heard an adult say they have a "favorite
character" in a series of adult novels, much less a series of serious novels
about the theological and moral struggles of Church of England clerics.

 I mean, if that's your thing, fine. It sure ain't mine.

 Have you ever written to Howatch telling her all about your favorite
character? I bet she'd be amused, er, delighted.

 Did you know Yahoo has a Susan Howatch group? Isn't that thrilling!?

Maybe you could join that group and see if any of the members have a "favorite
Howatch character."

<< Richard, I can empathize. I was thrilled to discover that Judy has also read
the novels of Susan Howatch, a favorite author of mine. I asked her who her
favorite Howatch character is. She responded with a putdown containing
references to teens and Harry Potter! I still think she needs a pitta pacifying
diet. >>

 On Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:52 PM, Richard J. Williams <punditster@...>