I have a fireplace, and sometimes burn wood, but unless a fireplace designed
for heating a room is installed, it does not make much difference to the
heating bill. In addition I have to buy wood. There are lots of trees around
but they are either on other's property, in parks, or in open space set aside
by conservation groups. Smog is not a problem where I live.

 The disconnexion between the me and the world is always an interesting
experience, sometimes like the Berlin Wall, but some day it should go. When it
went for me, I did not realise what had happened for decades, I thought that I
was basically back to square one when all experiences evaporated. My attention
turned outward and for most of that period, my interest in reading and engaging
in 'spiritual' things, etc., pretty much vanished. And then one day I realised
that gap between inner and outer really was never there in the first place, and
it took another five or so years to get comfortable with that understanding.

 The 'understanding' is just an overlay on experience that eventually lets the
mind feel settled in what's going on. Because of my particular upbringing and
entry in spirituality was very tangential to religion, my experiences tended to
not be coloured with religious overtones. For example if you read what Buck is
writing (or copying) these days, you can see his understanding is steeped in
religious soup. But, in fact, spiritual experience is ultimately undefined, and
so even as M said, you can see it in the light of anything, and ones'
individual preferences and peccadilloes will shape the understanding that
evolves. An understanding has to evolve to feel settled in this because
whatever understanding one has prior to this is blown out of the water. Advice
from others is helpful, but basically you are on your own in the end stages and
it is up to you how you co-ordinate your experience and understanding, for now
you have realised what the illusion you were operating under was, what the hoax
was.

 Here (from Wikipedia) is the tale of the awakening of St. Thomas, the 'doctor'
of the Catholic Church:

 In 1272 Thomas took leave from the University of Paris when the Dominicans
from his home province called upon him to establish a studium generale wherever
he liked and staff it as he pleased. He chose to establish the institution in
Naples, and moved there to take his post as regent master. He took his time at
Naples to work on the third part of the Summa while giving lectures on various
religious topics. On 6 December 1273 at the Dominican convent of Naples in the
Chapel of Saint Nicholas after Matins Thomas lingered and was seen by the
sacristan Domenic of Caserta to be levitating in prayer with tears before an
icon of the crucified Christ. Christ said to Thomas, "You have written well of
me, Thomas. What reward would you have for your labor?" Thomas responded,
"Nothing but you, Lord."  After this exchange something happened, but Thomas
never spoke of it or wrote it down. Because of what he saw, he abandoned his
routine and refused to dictate to his socius Reginald of Piperno. When Reginald
begged him to get back to work, Thomas replied: "Reginald, I cannot, because
all that I have written seems like straw to me" (mihi videtur ut palea). What
exactly triggered Thomas's change in behavior is believed by Catholics to have
been some kind of supernatural experience of God.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote:

 Do you have "Spare the Air" days back there?  We get them here in California
and now they are irritating people because they can't burn in their fireplace
to make up for the unusually cold weather.  If they do burn then they are
subject to a fine.  A little wind usually calls it off though.

 Thing is I find it hard to tell people that my experiences these days is "the
world is out there" and somehow disconnected from "me."  This is not a
dis-associative situation because when I need to engage with the world there is
no problem.  I call "localization on demand."  Otherwise it is line on water
and it would be so cool if everyone else at least experienced this.