---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

A spiritual system is like a septic system, crap in one end, and reasonably
clear water out the other. A corrupt spiritual system is like a clogged
gold-plated sewer pipe. Looks nice on the outside, but inside...

You got almost everything backwards in this post. Without a spiritual system,
crap goes into one end and crap comes out the other end. With a filtering
system, crap still goes in one end, but almost clear water comes out the other.
Crap looks bad on the outside but the water on the inside looks good.

 My read folder Ann, contains certain posters who tend to not just post one
liners or irrelevant comments. Edg is in the read post. Another criterion for
this folder is a person does not post excessively. As you now have your own
folder it's easy to find your messages. Barry is in the read folder. Putting
you in that folder however is like putting protons and anti-protons together.
In the past Edg has made some rather interesting posts but infrequently. His
great dissatisfaction with things TM only came to my awareness with this recent
series of posts. Now I have been dissatisfied with many things the TMO does,
but I always had a certain detachment from it all, for one thing, I had certain
goals, I started TM at a later age than many here did, I was not enamoured of
Maharishi, only if what he said was useful for me at a particular time was he
important to me, and I had some rudimentary knowledge of other traditions so
the stuff in the TM movement was something I had to collate with what went
before, it did not replace what went before (that of course is a TMO no no).

 Gurus were tools for me. What I got from the tools related to my goals and
everything else was on the outskirts of it all. I think I must have been at MIU
during part of the time Edg was there, but I tend not to remember people's
names very well, and am kind of reclusive. I do not think I personally have met
anyone on this forum except, briefly, Rick Archer, but who knows, I may have
met more. Maharishi was useful for me when he was useful, but it was almost
always by proxy. I only saw him, I think, three times in person. Noticing how
the movement handled money, and that it always went one way, I was always
careful to not give them any for projects. I spent more on a few residence
courses in the mid-seventies than I ever spent on techniques, unless you count
my time working in the movement as cash spent. But I was there for my own
reasons, not for Maharishi. Devotion to a teacher was not my path; my was
somewhat undefined, but it was based on a moderately clear experience before I
learned any form of meditation, so that experience was my guiding star, the
criterion for sorting what to pursue or not. It meant whatever enlightenment
was about, it was a larger framework than gurus and organisations, that they
were at best in the service or disservice of realisation, and could be sorted
in or out on that basis of having an outline, so to speak, of the larger
framework.

 If something did not work, I would tinker with it until it did or I dropped
it. There are certain restrictions on what you can do when in the movement, but
the main thing was not to turn over one's rational thinking and retain a
curious, investigative mind, so one could sort through worth and worthless, and
to avoid letting the movement get emotional hooks into you. So Maharishi's
shortcomings, and the failings of his lackeys and the general twisted
machinations seems to have affected me much less than Michael or Edg as far a
negative impressions. Negative and positive impressions were not where it was
at for me. You might say I just stumbled through the whole thing and finally
got back to where I began. So for me the final result was positive, but I was
not sure of that until this last decade. As for now, I do not see the movement
has anything to offer of value to me now.

 If enlightenment is real, it will make one independent of the means that got
one there. Any enlightenment movement that fails to recognise this is doomed to
become a dark cloud on the awareness of mankind. Transform and release is the
process. But most movements only partially transform and do not release, they
try to hold on to you. They cannot let you succeed because if you do, you will
not need them for anything. So a corrupt spiritual movement wants you to
believe certain things so you cannot reason, because you need to be able to
reason to work your way through the veil of ignorance, for if you do that, you
will see the beliefs are always false, if you go far enough.