--- <s3raphita@...> wrote :

 Re "But every so often, it's probably good to present the point of view of a
more balanced atheist.":

 This "Cephus" is just setting up a straw man; then knocking him down and
feeling pleased with himself. Just take a look at Richard Dawkins debating with
the (former) Archbishop of Canterbury at Oxford University. You may or may not
think that Dawkins has the better of Rowan Williams but Williams is clearly
*not* stupid and doesn't employ any of the ten "statements" that Cephus
castigates.
 One issue that strikes me about the difference between Barry and myself is
that he's American; I'm English. And what kind of difference would that be?
Well, in the USA, religion (including fundamentalist versions) is big - indeed
it's big business. In the UK, religion is now marginal. It conjures up images
of well-meaning but ineffectual Anglican vicars with little input into current
societal changes.
To me religion is harmless - rather sweet perhaps.

Your statement is inherently absurd. Please maintain the
distinction between Religion and Spiritualism.

Religion is like a banana skin, spiritualism is the banana.
Dogmatic, under-developed religions can be harmful.
Generations of women suffered from guilt complex due to
christian genesis story.

To Barry the mention of "religion" triggers memories of some unresolved trauma
from his childhood or adolescence. To Barry it's all about visceral emotion; to
me it's all about sweet reason and nuanced reflection.
 Here's Dawkins/Williams in civilized debate . . .
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2f5TA2nCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2f5TA2nCs

        • [F... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]