On Dec 9, 2005, at 3:32 PM, feste37 wrote:

No, it's not changed. Although the brutally cynical posters on this board will
never acknowledge it, MSAE has a remarkable record of significant
achievement. See the list compiled below, which I have taken from the MSAE
website.

Yes, now there's a credible, objective source.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Considering the track record of the MSAE, would you trust your
> > children, if you had them, to the teachers there?
>
> The track record has always seemed rather good. Has this changed?

MSAE
HIGHLIGHTS OF ACHIEVEMENTS

In the past decade, students at Maharishi School have won more than 100
state titles in science, speech, drama, writing, poetry, spelling, art,
photography, history, mathematics, chess, tennis, golf, track, and Destination
ImagiNation, a national and international creative problem-solving
competition.

Do you believe everything you read on websites, Feste? Notice the lack of specifics, or even the lack of names. What "state titles" were these, anyway?
Grades 10-12 score in the top 1% nationally, and in Iowa, on standardized
tests (ITED)

95% of graduates accepted at four-year colleges

Many if not most of the graduates there go to MUM. Again, if they're all going to well-known colleges, they would mention which ones.
Over ten times the nation's average for National Merit Scholar Finalists over
the past five years

What does that mean, exactly? The nation doesn't have an "average for National Merit Scholar Finalists," individual high schools do.

State Record: 41 state championships in creative problem-solving
competitions Destination ImagiNation and Odyssey of the Mind

Yep. And these programs are so great that every other private school in the country participates in them, right? Ever been to their websites?

World Record: Winners of the Global Finals of Destination ImagiNation, and
more top-ten finishes than any other school in the world

First Place: American High School Math Exam, Iowa Division, four years in a
row

First Place: Five first-place finishes, Iowa State History Fair, Senior Division

First Place: Ten first-place finishes in the senior division of the Eastern Iowa or
Hawkeye state science fairs

Grand Champions: Eight grand champion awards in the past decade in the
junior division of the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair

First place: Twice winner of the state spelling bee

State Record: Most Critic's Choice State Banner Awards for speech in the past
decade (16)

National Champion: Bravo Cable Channel High School Theater Competition

State Record: Congressional Art Competition, "An Artistic Discovery," grand
prize three years in a row

First Place: Iowa Poetry Association's high school contest

First Place: Iowa "Young Writer of the Year" award

State Champion: Iowa Junior Chess Championship

First Place: Iowa Educational Media Association (Photography)

Grand Prize: International Photo Imaging Education Association competition

State Champions: 16 boys' state tennis championships,
tying for the most in Iowa history

State Champion: Girls' state singles tennis

State Record: Tennis Triple Crown winner two years in a row

State Record: Boys' track 800 m

State Champions: Golf team and individual

ESVN

*      The End School Violence Now (ESVN) and Students Creating Peace
Network (SCPN) has given presentations on radio stations, participated in
Youth Development in the 21st Century sponsored by the 4-H clubs of
America, and given presentations to guests of the School.

The students have given presentations at the St.Louis Enlightened
Sentencing Project Graduation. They were invited to represent Southeast
Iowa at the Youth Development in the 21st Century Conference at Iowa State
University in Ames, and invited to Expo High School in Waterloo, Iowa. They
were also invited to the kick-off event for the Season of Non-Violence in Los
Angeles where they spoke to educators, parents and the event organizers.
While in Los Angeles a presentation was given at a South Los Angeles
alternative High School. All the events met with great success.

The students are working on a student-to-student video, a web site, and other
projects to bring 8,000 Yogic Flyers to Maharishi University of Management
and Maharishi Vedic City.

> I can't comment on these assertions, but has the school changed inthe
> past few months and years. National Merit Scholarship and semi-
> finalists don't grow on trees. Nor do exceptionaly high scores on
> standardized tests.
>
>  Now
> > personally I can't imagine why anyone would object to those things,
> but
> > there you have it.  And the few halfway decent teachers that have
> > remained teach the boys, since the education of girls apparently
> > doesn't matter at all.  This basically gives the parents of girls
> few
> > options except to spend even more $$ and time hiring private tutors.
> >

> Do you have documentation that there is such a dichotomy in
> educational treatment?

What documentation would you like? Ask nearly any parent of a girl.

> > And the parents kids with any kind of disability, be it learning,
> > speech, behavior, etc are told to either stuff it or take care of
> it on
> > their own, since, of course, children going to school in paradise
> don't
> > have those issues.
>
> Heh. Screening takes all forms. Few public charter schools are
> willing to deal with extreme special needs kids and the way Arizona
> law is set up, they don't have to. Aside from wheelchair access
> andthe like, charter schools aren't required to be equiped for
> arbitrary special needs because, by definition, charter schools are
> specializing in special needs already.
>
> Most private schools operate the same way: if your child doesn't fit
> the curriculum or facility, then they don't modify the curriculum or
> the facilities to accomidate the child -- the child has to go
> somewhere that DOES accomidate them.

That's not the issue. The issue here is a private school accepting kids knowing that they have serious issues, than simply ignoring them, while at the same time trying to give the parents special deals, undoubtedly so that enrollment doesn't go down to zero. I agree that the kids would be better served elsewhere, like in the excellent public schools here, but apparently some of the parents feel ignoring their kids' issues is okay as long as you keep up appearances. If all these parents were to pull their kids, the school would close.

Sal