TMO as a valid employer

It will be interesting to see how things shape up in South Florida with the
independent TM
teacher there.  He recently posted here that he is having trouble with
advertising TM as an
"unrecertified teacher". The TMO is trying to block that activity.  Goldstein
with MUM legal
had written a letter to a magazine there. I just found out Mike Scozzari has
received the
standard cease and desist letter from a law firm representing the TMO.  Mike
said his legal
counsel is advising him not to respond to threats unless ordered by the courts.
In addition
to a legal team, he has a publicist here in San Francisco that wants to do a
feature on
independents who teach for less should this go to court.

Back in 1993  here in California one independent TM teacher (a regular to
fairfieldlife) told
me he advised  the movement they would only hurt themselves if they took legal
action
against him.  The court and publicity could potentially uncover a long list of
TMO errors
and embarrassments.  If they threatened trademark infringement in 1993 but
didn't take
legal action over all these years,  any judge would question the validity of an
unprotected
trademark. The California teacher referred to here teaches TM as an independent
today
and has helped many people learn the technique charging much less than the
national
average, He is successful because he is a good teacher.  Lets not get lost
criticizing him
for not sharing the income with national.  They make that impossible for
someone who
wants to make a living at this.  Teachers should be making the majority of the
course fee
with a small percentage going to the TMO for a franchise fee.  That wold never
happen as
the movement would not have a stronghold on the purse and therefore a
stronghold on
the teacher.

With the latest round of TMO stupidity and recertification to teach, and with
promises for
salaries not kept, what legitimate U.S. court would accept the TMO as a valid
employer?
 I agree in part with an earlier post from spraig@ - The TMO does have the
right to it's
trademark protection. L'm not an attorney either but if the owner of the
trademark fails to
protect it and misuses it......that could be a very interesting question for
the courts to look
at. The TMO has demonstrated itself to be an unreliable employer incapable of
fulfilling
it's promises, withdrawing promised salaries with the latest recertification
project. If
teachers pay to train to teach and the trademark owner makes that impossible,
who then
has the right to use the trademark? The argument could be made in court that
overwhelming evidence exists to sue the tm org for Fraudulent & Deceptive &
Exploitative
employment practices.

I thought the letter to the magazine in south Florida was threatening.  This
TMO tactic is
designed to frighten and why go after the magazine. The recertified teachers
there are
probably ticked off that someone is competing with them.  Competition is good
and
everyone should teach!  I received an e-mail which I think did a good job of
summing up:

"The national course fee in the US set by the Transcendental Meditation
Organization is 5
times what it was in 1993.  Consequently the numbers are way down, people are
not
starting. Many experienced/certified teachers throughout the U.S. have had to
settle the
problem of runaway prices by privately offering TM instruction at very
reasonable rates.
Without compromising the original effective technique, TM can now be learned
for less.
It's the same technique. People everywhere, rich or poor, should have the
opportunity to
take the course and follow-up lessons."

I wonder how many TM teachers there are who would like to teach if they knew
they would
not be threatened.  This latest event could be the rallying point for all of
them - and don't
kid yourself, there are many!  Of the 40K trained in the US, and so few
teaching, there are
still many who would love to teach and could make a difference.  I know the
attorneys in
south Florida have been talking about a fund to help cover the costs if they go
to trail. If
all TM teachers could benefit, independence could be for all.  Maybe they are
already free
of this and just don't realize it!

Daniel Jeffers

Sent to me from one recertified teacher from California......regarding TMO
threat to the
magazine in Florida:

"If anyone should be censored, it is the tm org. For trying to monopolize a
universally-
beneficial spiritual teaching, and for trying to intimidate & prohibit
qualified teachers from
sharing this teaching with the public.  Most publications are natural advocates
of free
speech. In our society we celebrate diversity of opinions & teachings &
lifestyles.  As one
attorney  stated:  "the tm org. has an illegitimate trademark-------they've
never defended
it in the past 40 years------and it will certainly fail in court, whenever it
comes to court"
---- they, the tm org., have not followed the laws in this situation-------this
is simply a
dispute or difference of opinion within a particular spiritual teaching:  the
government &
laws do not take sides in these disputes-------for example, the government does
not try
to influence who will be elected pope, or what position the southern baptist
convention
will take on issues, or what approach they will take to promote
christianity-----or what
approach should be taken in the teaching of transcendental meditation, etc.
It's a free
marketplace of ideas, and as true american citizens, we respect the right of
everyone to
freely speak and teach the truth as they believe.  The tm org., on the other
hand, does not
truly respect the u.s. constitution------they openly support the establishment
of
monarchies throughout the world, and they openly function as a monarchy within
their
own org. structure.  They believe the monarch has the absolute authority to
control all
information & education, and they are openly calling for the entire world to be
one
country, under the rule of an absolute monarch!   Judging by the history of the
tm org.,
and its horrible mismanagement, destroying a vital worldwide movement that was
benefitting millions of people, this is very alarming.  We can respect their
right to express
their viewpoint, but the O.S. constitution and the majority of Americans are
not likely  to
allow them to implement their vision of a totalitarian society!   They force
people in their
own org. to bow down to appointed kings wearing robes & crowns!   They are
calling for
the destruction of all homes & buildings & cities in the world, destroying all
the treasured
cultural & historical landmarks, even reversing the direction of the flow of
major rivers in
Europe, just to conform to their dictation as to what is proper.   They talk in
idealistic
terms of "world peace" and developing everyone's full potential, but this is
obscuring the
truth that they wish to control every detail of a person's thought & life!
At their
"university" in Iowa  (for objective history, see www.geocities.com/bbrigante/
updates.html), they are taking millions in federal funds, while violating
federal laws------
they claim TM is not a religion or lifestyle (it's true---it isn't) but in
practice, they rigidly
suppress all freedom of speech & assembly on campus.  One recent example (among
thousands):  a student was informed by the dean of students, that she could not
teach a
yoga class in town, off campus, because that style of yoga was not sanctioned
by the
university.  The university for years has warned students not to attend the
meetings of any
other spiritual teachings (other than established mainstream religions).
Students who are
caught doing so, are expelled.  It goes on & on.  The teachings of Maharishi &
TM are
wonderful & practical, but have been grossly distorted by an overbearing
organization in
the past several years.  Trained & experienced independent TM teachers, have
the right in
this great democracy, to present the truth of Maharishi's teaching freely to
the public, and
to share the benefits of TM freely with the public.  A great example of  the
great benefit to
our society from independent TM teachers is the work of the Enlightened
Sentencing
Project in St. Louis, Missouri, where 12 judges have directed hundreds of
probationers to
learn TM (see Farrok's web site - www.tesp.org).  The TM org. focuses its
programs on the
superrich:  following the basic recommendations of the org. can cost an
individual
$50,000 to $100,000 per year, or more.  They have the right to do that
[although it seems
their nonprofit status might be called into question ], but the government will
not take
their side in suppressing the activities of independent TM teachers."

Below is a letter from  recertified teacher John W Chandler.  He sent this to
Farrokh,
Farrokh sent it to me:

This poor  TM Teacher  left his job to go for recertification. Read his story.
 .
 "Just came across your e-mail address and was wondering how you were doing?

 I just went through 4.5 months of major stress.  I quit my job at the bank and
signed up
for the TM Peace Palace Project as a Recertified Governor/Director.  Then the
next thing I
knew, they canceled our course, told us to get to work right away, and by the
way "you're
not going to get paid or reimbursed for your expenses until we decide you
deserve it".
Boy did I hit the roof when they pulled that switch on us.  Nevertheless, I
stuck it out for 3
months before I quit.  So, I lost 4.5 months of income, lost my old job, all my
seniority, my
401k contributions, my territory and my credibility.  All because I dared to
believe the
movement was going to honor their word when they said they would pay us
$4000/month
salary + reimburse any expenses we incurred setting things up.  They lied.  So,
now I'm
free of the movement.  I'll never trust or believe anything they say ever
again, and
unfortunately I don't trust MMY as much anymore either; although he may be
heavily
influenced by the greedy people around him.

 Fortunately the bank is taking me back and I start again next week, but at a
lower rank,
less salary, no matching 401k funds, and less vacation.  Oh well, live and
learn.

 So, that's my bright and cheerful update.  Hope yours is going better.

 John W Chandler

Need Help?  Get Help! Tools and Strategies for Healthy Drug-Free Living</a>.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wI.OUB/dbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM