I would recommend you get a copy of "Practical Astronomy with your
Pocket Calculator" which you can get used real cheap. One of the
important concepts to grok in celestial mechanics is *frames of
reference*. For example, there are horizon coordinates, equatorial
coordinates, ecliptic coordinates, Galactic coordinates, etc. All are
*different* frames of reference. While precession will tell you how
the satellites appear and change in regards to the background of
"fixed" stars, it's really a different frame of reference than when
your talking about where the sun is in the sky related to earths
horizon. In that regard the important thing is the earths orbit
around the sun, which is an ellipse, not a circle. Therefore the
important thing is it's eccentricity and it's eccentric anomalies.
These are how you'll really calculate the suns positions, rise/set
times, etc.

For example, you could learn how to calculate the actual position of
the sun, sunrises and sunsets, etc. and it would then become clear
that these orbital dynamics are what will determine the position of
the sun from the reference point of the earths horizon. Yes the
background of the stars does change over time, but only when you
include them in your frame of reference.