*************************

>From MMY's Gita commentary, Ch.II, v.55:

"This verse presents the 'steady intellect' in the state of samadhi,
or transcendental consciousness, and also in the state of nitya-
samadhi, or cosmic consciousness; in both cases the mind gains that
state in which it 'completely casts off all desires that have gone
(deep) into the mind.'

When, through the practice of transcendental meditation, the mind
gains transcendental consciousness, it is completely out of the
field of desires. This is the 'steady intellect' in the state of
samadhi.

How then is the 'steady intellect' maintained in nitya-samadhi, when
the mind, established in pure consciousness, is yet engaged in the
field of action? Because in this state the mind has become
transformed into bliss-consciousness, Being is permanently lived as
separate from activity. Then a man realizes that his Self is
different from the mind which is engaged in thoughts and desires. It
is now his experience that the mind, which had been identified with
desires, is mainly identified with the Self. He experiences the
desires of the mind as lying outside himself, whereas he used to
experience himself as completely involved with desires."