> <snip>
> > > Isn't that, after all, AnonAkashaGabbyMoose's
> > > issue? He wants the experiences of enlighten-
> > > ment that people have had to fit into the
> > > descriptions of them he has heard over the
> > > years. He's so used to the map that he wants
> > > people's experiences to have creases in them
> > > in the same places his maps do.  :-)
> >
> > No, I don't think that's what he's saying at all.
> > Unless you believe experiences should never be
> > discussed, you have to find ways to describe them;
> > and a standardized vocabulary for such descriptions,
> > to the extent possible, facilitates understanding
> > and comparison.  Otherwise not much communication
> > takes place.
>
> Just to add, I'm not suggesting one should strictly
> limit oneself to a standardized vocabulary.  It's
> something to start from, to use as a basis, then
> elaborate on, depart from, whatever, as appropriate.
> It can even be used negatively--e.g., "It *wasn't*
> like this. Instead, it was like..."

But what's the *point* of all this "communication?"
Seems to me that often it's people who have not had
a particular experience trying to "understand" the
experience, on the basis of hearing it described or
theorized about. With many spiritual experiences,
I've found that the people who *had* the experiences
don't understand them. Many of them are honest enough
to say so.

I guess the bottom line from this point of view, is
that I'm just more of a fan of having experiences
than sitting around talking about someone else's
experiences. That can be fun if one finds the
discussion or the experiene being discussed
interesting, but I'm not convinced that hearing
about it is going to either really help you
understand it or prepare you for the experience
itself.

*On the other hand*, from another point of view,
there may be some value in hearing the vibe "behind"
the words that a person uses to describe an exper-
ience that they know is indescribable. The words
themselves mean nothing, but perhaps the vibe
behind the words can provide a "pointer" to an
intuitive feeling about the actual experience,
a finger pointing to the moon.

Given the second point of view, I would say that
there is a greater likelihood of profiting from a
discussion of a spiritual experience with someone
who has actually had the experience than from a
discussion among people who haven't. In the former
case, the "vibe" might slip through underneath the
words; in the latter case, there is no "vibe" to
slip anywhere, only theory.