--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<nelsonriddle2001@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hyperbolicgeometry"

> > >      With the passing of time and more expierience gained, it
has
> > > become round.
> > >      This author lacks expierience with which the paranormal
becomes
> > > normal.
> >
> > Indeed.  However...
> >
> > >      Isn't it generally agreed that people are using ten to
fifteen
> > > percent of their brain but now we have someone saying that this
or
> > > that expierience is not possible.
> >
> > ...to the extent that this is "generally agreed," it's
> > agreed on the basis of a misunderstanding of the findings
> > of early EEG research.  See this article from Scientific
> > American:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4pp8h
> >
> > It's one thing to speculate that we use only 10 percent
> > of the brain's *potential* (although it's hard to say
> > how one would arrive at a specific percentage); but the
> > notion that we use only 10 percent of the brain itself
> > is simply inaccurate.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> +++ Interesting article.  Maybe integrated hemisphere functioning
> would be the better term.
>      I was thinking of Mr. Peake (sp) (the Rain man) who still
> continues to absorb knowledge and be able to recall it.
>      His ability to memorize large numbers of books would indicate
> some brain function that is not generaly in use by the average
> person.

On the other hand, he lacks other abilities that
average people have.  Maybe the brain has "room"
for only so many abilities, and average people have
more abilities but each ability is allotted a smaller
portion of the brain's capacity, compared to the
larger portions of Peake's brain allotted to each of
his smaller number of abilities?

Did that make any sense??  It's sort of like a
library with a limited amount of shelf space.  It
can have books on a wide range of books, with only
a few on each topic; or it can specialize in only
a few topics and have lots of books on each.

>      I have some problem remembering more than a few phone numbers
> and this guy looks like he has more than a terrabite memory.
>      I definitely don't have ten percent of this kind of memory-
> maybe I am getting bit of "old timers syndrome"  N.

We're all heading in that direction...

Lately I've consoled myself with the thought that the
older one gets, the more memories one has, and the
brain has a harder time fitting in new stuff that
comes along on the fly.  The memory begins to get
fragmented, like a hard disk, so it's harder to
access what you want to remember.  And sometimes
the brain can't find a space for the item before
it falls out of short-term memory and is lost.

As I get older, I more often find myself unable to
bring to mind names I know well when I want to cite
them.  But if I stop searching my memory consciously
and think about something else, most of the time the
name pops up after a few minutes. It's as if there's
a subconscious search mode that continues until it
finds the memory fragment tucked away in a far corner
somewhere.