> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Nelson" <nelsonriddle2001@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@> wrote
> > >
> > > ...to the extent that this is "generally agreed," it's
> > > agreed on the basis of a misunderstanding of the findings
> > > of early EEG research.  See this article from Scientific
> > > American:
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/4pp8h
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > +++ Interesting article.  Maybe integrated hemisphere functioning
> > would be the better term.
> >      I was thinking of Mr. Peake (sp) (the Rain man) who still
> > continues to absorb knowledge and be able to recall it.
> >      His ability to memorize large numbers of books would indicate
> > some brain function that is not generaly in use by the average
> > person.
>
> On the other hand, he lacks other abilities that
> average people have.  Maybe the brain has "room"
> for only so many abilities, and average people have
> more abilities but each ability is allotted a smaller
> portion of the brain's capacity, compared to the
> larger portions of Peake's brain allotted to each of
> his smaller number of abilities?
>
> Did that make any sense??  It's sort of like a
> library with a limited amount of shelf space.  It
> can have books on a wide range of books, with only
> a few on each topic; or it can specialize in only
> a few topics and have lots of books on each.

+++ That seems logical as in specialization but also, in a recent
story on him, it said he had gotten used to public speaking and was
absorbing more knowledge in different fields.

    I have some problem remembering more than a few phone numbers
> > and this guy looks like he has more than a terrabite memory.
> >      I definitely don't have ten percent of this kind of memory-

> We're all heading in that direction...
>
> Lately I've consoled myself with the thought that the
> older one gets, the more memories one has, and the
> brain has a harder time fitting in new stuff that
> comes along on the fly.  The memory begins to get
> fragmented, like a hard disk, so it's harder to
> access what you want to remember.  And sometimes
> the brain can't find a space for the item before
> it falls out of short-term memory and is lost.

+ that must be it- my memory needs to be de-figmented.  N.