[Quoting Schroedinger:]
> Let us see whether we cannot draw the correct, noncontradictory
> > conclusion from the following two premises:
> >
> > (i) My body functions as a pure mechanism according to the Laws
> > of Nature [determinism].

 ME: This is about the physical body.

> > (ii) Yet I know, by incontrovertible direct experience, that I
> > am directing its motions, of which I foresee the effects, that
> > may be fateful and all-important, in which case I feel and take
> > full responsibility for them [free will].

ME: This is about the mind

> > The only possible inference from these two facts is, I think,
> > that I--I in the widest meaning of the word, that is to say,
> > every conscious mind that has ever said "I"--am the person, if
> > any, who controls the "motion of the atoms" according to the Laws
> > of Nature.

Me: Here is where he takes flight.  It is a contrivance to claim to be
a conclusion from the two premises.
This conclusion has nothing to do with them, even inductively.   It is
far from the "only possible inference".

You must be referring to material you have read from him outside this
quote?  Is this from "What is Life?"
I read it years ago.

Your commentary was interesting.  I don't have a well formed opinion
about relating the rules governing atoms and our thoughts.  It just
seems like more proof by analogy than good science or good philosophy
to me.  I can't say that I believe they are separate, because I don't
know enough about either side.  But I can challenge that he knows that
they do.  He is putting together ideas that may not go together.
This is Wilber's point right?

I read your post many times and wrote quite a few responses before
coming up with this lame contribution!  I enjoyed it though.