I have no real answers but I do know that explanations of poverty and
powerlessness may not hold up.  The suicidal terrorists we know about
best were mostly privileged.  One necessary component is a belief in
an afterlife that rewards such behavior.  That is Sam Harris's
particular beef with Islam.  He states that all religions are not
equal in their sanctioning of such behavior.  We don't see Buddhist
terrorists even though they have often experienced as much oppression
as any group.  So for him it is unchallenged irrational beliefs of
extremist which are protected by religious moderates who share less
extreme, but still irrational , beliefs.  I agree with his view but I
really don't hold much hope for humans to give up their religious
beliefs.   As long as the scriptures are explicitly supporting such
behaviors with a promise of reward in the afterlife I don't see
anything getting better.

Personally I think our wonderful human ability for creative thought
has run amuck in the case of these irrational beliefs.  It is one of
our greatest assets and it becomes our downfall when disconnected with
reason.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>