> On Aug 27, 2006, at 2:29 AM, authfriend wrote:
> >
> > P.S.: Notice, once again, that Barry has conflated
> > "What MMY sez..." (or in this case, "What MMY
> > may have meant...") with "What MMY sez is true."
>
> > It's really a very obvious distinction, but Barry
> simply cannot seem to make it.
>
> OK, Judy so then you think MMY goes around stating things
> he thinks are *lies*?

I don't pretend to know whether he does, actually,
but that has nothing to do with the point I was
making.  "Is true" in my formulation refers to what
the person quoting MMY believes, not what MMY
believes.  It's likely that someone who believes
what MMY says is true also assumes that MMY believes
it, but that's beside the point.

> The distinction may be obvious, but I guess I don't quite
> understand.  You've said this now so many times I'd like to
> know what it is you're driving at.

It's *so* obvious that I'm not quite sure how to
make it any clearer.

When a person quotes MMY (or anybody else, for
that matter), they can (a) simply be reporting
what he says without offering an opinion about
whether they believe what he says is true, or
(b) indicating that they believe what they're
quoting him as saying is true, or even (c)
indicating that they believe what they're quoting
him as saying is *not* true.  It depends on the
context.

Barry and some others here automatically assume
that when a TMer says "MMY says..." the TMer is
expressing their belief that whatever they're
quoting MMY as saying is true.  But that, of
course, isn't necessarily the case.

If it isn't clear from the context (e.g., "MMY
says X, but that's a load of crap," or "MMY says
do X, so you'd better start doing X right away"),
at the very least you'd want to *ask* whether they
believe what they're quoting is true.  They might
believe it, they might not believe it, they might
think it was likely, they might think it *wasn't*
likely, or they might have no earthly idea.  And
in many cases what they think on that issue may
not even be relevant to the point they're making.

Does that help any?