> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@> wrote:
>
> It appears that the people who overpost are not stepping up and
> saying that they are going to change or that they care about or
> understand what the FFL community has said to them, in fairly
> gentle and kind terms.

In fact, Sparaig has treated the whole subject
as if it were a joke, and Judy has never even
ONCE acknowledged that her level of posting is
excessive.

I think we have to assume that neither of them
thinks that their level of posting IS excessive.

Therefore they're not going to change.

Shemp and I have acknowledged our willingness
to either cut back or leave the forum entirely.
But Sparaig and Judy are trying to bluff their
way through this and continue doing what they
have always done.  They are assuming that no
one has the balls to actually impose some sane
controls on them, since they seem incapable of
self-control.

The two of them have SUCCESSFULLY taken over
Fairfield Life, such that any new person showing
up on the scene would have to believe that they
*represent* Fairfield Life. That is, after all,
all they see when they go to a FFL Messages page:
endless numbers of posts by sparaig and authfriend.

And now these two are betting that you guys are
going to wuss out and allow them to KEEP doing this.

I think that in a recent post new.morning made an
astute observation, and used the appropriate word
for this type of behavior:

  "It just seems a shame to give in and let the
  terrorists shape our lives. Then they win."

Reluctantly, I finally agree with new.morning.
The only thing these cyberterrorists will under-
stand is "cutting them off at the pump." They
have DEMONSTRATED that they won't listen to
reason and they have failed even to *acknowledge*
that their behavior is offensive.

So I'd vote for a solution similar to what he
proposed:

-- Given an appropriate "start date" (say the
beginning of a calendar month) monitor the
posting activity of the biggest offenders.

-- A normal month on FFL consists of 3000 to
5000 posts total. 10% of that would be 30 to
50 posts per month.

-- When these posters reach a total of 30 posts
for the month, send out a warning that they only
have 20 left for the month. At that point they
know that they have to "cut down," or else.

-- When they reach 50, cut them off for the rest
of the month.

-- If they get "cut off" three months in a row,
suspend their posting privileges permanently.

Simple, effective, and fair.

Speaking as someone who has posted WAY too much
in the past, I would have NO PROBLEM abiding by
such a policy.

Unc/Barry/TurquoiseB

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional