> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>

> > > Total posts: 4672
> > >
> > > shempmcgurk -- 541 (11.6%)
> > > sparaig -- 533 (11.4%)
> > > authfriend -- 482 (10.3%)
> > > new.morning -- 265 (5.7%)
> > > off_world_beings -- 253 (5.4%)
> > > turquoiseb -- 218 (4.7%)
> > >
> > > Again, the "top three" account for a third
> > > of all posts. And again, they'll take no
> > > notice of this. So far in November, they
> > > account for 47% of all posts made.
> >
> > What's the harm?
>
> No one is suggesting that these three don't post.
> However, quite a few people here have commented
> on the effect that their *lack of self control*
> in posting has had on the newsgroup.
>
> Imagine being a newbie, drawn to FFL by the blurb
> on the home page, and trying to read through it
> yesterday and today. What you would find is a
> group that *appears* to be dominated by three
> rather vociferous and harsh people. Their posts
> constitute almost half of everything you could
> read on the forum. They seem to do nothing but
> argue (or, to be kind, they seem to do nothing
> but argue in 80% of their posts). And they argue,
> for the most part, about subjects that have little
> or nothing to do with the subjects that attracted
> you as a newbie to the group in the first place.
>
> Would you be moved to give such a group a second try?
>
> To me, the issue is a social one. Quite a few people
> here have tried, in one way or another to *get through*
> to these three and tell them that their lack of self
> control and tendency to dominate the forum by regularly
> posting twice to six times as much as the other regular
> posters is not appreciated. People have asked them
> politely to cut down. Others have suggested giving
> them an enforced "time out." Still others have stopped
> reading them entirely.
>
> BUT (and this is the important thing IMO), *at no
> point* in all of this has any of the three ever given
> the impression that they *hear* what the other members
> of their community are saying to them. Shemp actually
> treats it as a joke, and continues to make posts that
> seem to have *no other function* but to provoke the
> other two, and cause them to post even more. Sparaig
> reacts to posts like mine that point out his habits
> by *posting even more*. And although Judy *has* cut
> down a little from her highs of a few months ago,
> whenever the subject comes up she reacts by claim-
> ing that people (me, in particular) are trying to
> silence or censor her.
>
> I think I speak for many people here in saying that
> all we're asking is for these three to CATCH A
> FUCKIN' CLUE and realize that what they are doing
> is socially unacceptable.
>
> A CHILD would have heard the feedback they'd received
> from their peers by this time and made some attempt
> to change their unaccpetable behavior. Why haven't
> these three?

I'm sorry but I don't see what they are doing as a problem. I find
enough worthwhile content here to be interested, and if I wasn't I'd
go elsewhere. The vibe of this place is such that anything is
accepted. That is its charter. So your unhappiness over these three
posters is OK, just as their continued posting is OK.

I have seen successful attempts at changing the discourse on this
forum numerous times, and I observe that it results from coming up
with something engaging and stimulating, vs. attempting to censor
anyone.

PS I do find your posted % of posters thing interesting.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: