> However for many simply the cessation of thoughts does
> not give rise to pure consciousness because of the
> foundational projection/identification of
> consciousness with chitta. Cessation of
> thought/vrittis in chitta while identification is
> still present is a laya and not samadhi. I believe
> many of the decades long meditators are stuck in a
> laya when they meditate. They experience peace and,
> bliss, but it rarely moves into pure consciousness.

Well said. That's *exactly* why I suggested that
having been given a strong intellectual framework
that appeals to the normal (that is, unenlightened)
waking state can actually be an *obstacle* to the
appreciation of enlightenment when it dawns.

*During* the experience, however long or fleeting
it may be, it can be an actual experience of samadhi,
because while it is going on, the intellect is "not
at home." But *immediately* afterwards the intellect
logs back on and tries to superimpose its programmed
intellectual understanding of "what samadhi is" onto
the experience, most often with disastrous results.
The result is often finding some way to deny that
the experience took place, or that it was actually
samadhi. What it usually took for a long-term TMer
to recognize that samadhi was taking place was for
it to last for an extended period of time -- say ten
to twenty minutes. After such an experience, it was
difficult for even the most conditioned intellect
to impose its preconceptions on the experience.

We're all talking "around" an experience here that
cannot be talked about, and many of us are using
different terminology to "talk around" it. It's
like we're all pointing at the moon, but some of
us are using our fingers and some of us are using big
Bozo The Clown gloves. The moon is still there, but
some can't recognize that it's being pointed at unless
the person uses a finger they're familar with and
comfortable with.  :-)

The thing that's fascinating to me is that it's
pretty easy (at least for me) to tell which of the
participants in this particular discussion have
actually *been* to the moon and thus are speaking
in their own chosen language "around" an experience
that was actually an experience for them personally,
and those who have *never* been there and are only
mouthing what they've been told. Pretty interesting
that that difference can come through, even on the
Internet.