On Dec 11, 2006, at 6:47 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

Some people had a huge amount of attachment to this idea. Some
came out of the woodwork to hurl insults or to defend TM.

Interestingly some of the most knowledgeable people on the list
simply said nothing.

Not knowing whether I am remotely "knowledgeable" or not,
but knowing that I didn't bother to weigh in on this
"experiment" at the time, I'll do so now. :-) I agree
with you that TM, and *most* other methods of meditation
are dualistic.

One of the most interesting reactions I heard (repeatedly) was that I was presenting or claiming that some (unnamed) Buddhist technique, which I supposedly practiced--despite the fact I've never claimed to practice any such technique, nor had I ever claimed to a Buddhist!

As I was telling Tom T. offlist the other day, my knowledge of this fact was actually from a visit I made back in the 80's to one of the peeths of the Holy Shankaracharya Order. A pundit and yogin of that order kindly asked what my path was, and I naively replied "Adavaita Vedanta". He was delighted to hear this and asked who my teachers were and I replied that it was MMY and from SBS. He seemed puzzled by this and I then explained that I practiced TM. He found that funny. He explained, in some detail then that TM was actually a dualistic approach from tantra and was definitely not Advaita. It was very clear at the time that he was simply speaking the plain truth. As I later heard this also from another Patanjali and Shankaracharya pundit, it's clear this is common knowledge.