Robert Gimbel wrote:
> In order to have cause and effect, there must be the
> dimension of time present. Therefore, these laws do
> apply in the relative world of time and sequence.

Can you cite an example of cause and effect which does
not exist in time and space? If so, it would be
transcendental, that is, beyond space and time. That
would be termed Brahman, which is not an object of
knowledge. Brahman is a metaphysical or philosophical
concept.

> But, in the Transcendent, there is no time, it
> doesn't exist.

According to Shankara in his commentary on Brahma
Sutras, time is an illusion, but it is real as
long as we are experiencing it. It is unreal in
the absolute sense, so time, according to Shankara,
is not real, yet it is also not unreal - it is maya,
that is, indescribable. This is the classic Indian
transcendental view.

Material determinism does not recognize a transcendental
view. Causation is the general law of physics which we
ALL experience to one degree or another. In contrast,
very few have even postulated the existence of a
transcendtal state, mostly the Upanishadic thinkers.

> So, when one has an intension, in a place of no-time...
> Different laws of nature apply.
> This is where miracles occur.
> Sure, if Rome's Pilot commanded Jesus to quick;
> Perform a miracle for some ego satisfaction..
> It would have been quite difficult to do that;
> Because of that consciousness being so literal,
> material, time-oriented...
> Miracles only occur, outside of time.
> It is an experience which cannot be explained in
> linear terms.
> That's why they call it a miracle;
> You must be open to something greater than your ego.
> That's all.
> Jesus said, that we all could perform miracles
> greater than he.

Maybe so, but performing miracles can also get you killed.

Look what happened to Simon Magus - he rose up off the
ground and Simon Peter didn't like that, so Peter caused
him to crash to the ground. Lord Krishna lifted up Govardhan
Hill and as a consequence, he killed millions of living
beings - a sin. If you are always looking up at the sky
you might fall into a ditch, hit your head on a rock and
die from drowning.

> Why is it so hard to believe, that you could
> transcend time, and change anything?

If we could cause change at will, we would be magicians.

But in fact, there is no such thing as change, only
transformations of energy. Things don't change into other
things. And there is no force that enters into the world
dividing history into a 'before and after'. There are no
chance events - everything happens for a reason.

> Why is that so hard to believe?

Because it's not based on common sense. We get all our
knowledge from our senses, mainly from our eyes and ears.
These are the two primary means of gaining knowledge.
Otherwise we must depend on inference and verbal testimony.

The most reliable senses that we have are general
knowledge based on observation: human excrement always
flows downstream. It is just common sense to assume that
human waste products will always follow the law of gravity
and not fly up into our face for no reason.

If we do not use our common sense, we might imagine that
monkeys are flying up out of our butts instead of crap,
and that instead of a corn cob for wiping we should use
a baseball bat or a catchers mitt, and instead of crapping
in a stream we should be going to the loo out on a softball
field or with baboons inside a zoo cell. Which would be
non-sensical, would it not?

There's nothing wrong with crapping out in a field, and
swatting at crap balls as they fly down to the ground,
but most people would probably look askance at your actions.
Not to mention that it would require great skill, especially
without the crap balls flying up towards your face. Have you
tried this? I have, and as a skilled janitor I can tell you
that it makes quite a mess to clean up. One guy apparently
tried this when he was constipated and almost caused a riot.
I reported him to the hall monitor who told him to get the
hell out and take a bath in the creek and clean himself and
put on some shoes before he went back to class.

It would probably be better to use an enclosed brick out
house for crapping and meditate inside there, day-dreaming
about monkeys and baseball, and swatting flies that you
imagine to be balls of crap or monkeys in the shape of crap
balls. That way, you could probably avoid being put inside
the nut house out house or tied into a bed with a straight
jacket and given a bed pan and Prozac.

It just makes more common sense to assume that a stream
would carry away your waste products rather than try to
convince everyone in the third world that the spirits of
the dead caused you to expel shit and then swat it into
your friend's lap. They might get the wrong idea and think
that your were out of your mind and not being practical.