> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@>

> > > Not interested.
> > >
> > > Have you seen Lynch's latest movie yet? You know,
> > > the one you said was "stupid" before you'd seen
> > > it (and then deleted the post)?
> >
> > As a matter of fact, yes. They showed it here in
> > France on satellite because Lynch was one of the
> > guests at the recent Cannes festival. Didn't like
> > it much, but it *was* much better than his entry
> > for the "Chacun son cinema" compilation, which was
> > so odd that it appears to have been deleted from
> > the distribution copy of the film.
> >
> > Have *you* seen the film yet, or is your relation-
> > ship with it...uh...similar to your relationship
> > with enlightenment, too?  :-)
>
> Nope, but I've never expressed a critical
> opinion about it, either (just as I have not
> done so with either "The Sopranos" or
> "Apocalypto," you see).

>From FFL Message #126122, which was mainly a
repost of someone else's ideas from Salon.com,
but which contained the following lines, *all*
written by Judy Stein, who has *still* never
seen the film. The subject line was Judy's,
the text in brackets in the second paragraph
was Judy's, and the full concluding paragraph
was Judy's. I'm sure she doesn't consider any
of them "critical opinion," but I'm not sure
how many people would agree with her.

As for the film itself, as an exercise in fair-
ness and "intellectual honesty," or maybe just
to see whether her *obvious* "critical opinion"
(not to mention slander of Mel Gibson and his
film *that she never saw) was warrented, see
above. Judy's "Not interested."

Subject: Mel Gibson, Christian bigot

...If there were ever an apocalypse in the
history of the Maya -- and herein lies the
ultimate demoralizing irony of the movie --
it would be because of European contact. But
in the movie, after two hours of excess,
hyperbole and hysteria, the Spaniards represent
the arrival of sanity [i.e., Christianity--JS]
to the Maya world. The tacit paternalism [and
bigotry--JS] is devastating.

To highlight what the writer tactfully leaves
implicit, Gibson has slandered the Maya and
mangled history for the purpose of exalting the
purported superiority of Christianity.

I saw Apocalypto, and feel that the author who
wrote the article was WAY off-base, and had
seen the film through his own "I'm a scholar
and I don't get no respect and this pissant
director is famous and more handsome than I
am"-colored glasses, missing what was really
onscreen. Several people on this forum who have
seen the film agree with me. Judy's still never
seen the film, and is even claiming that she has
"never expressed a critical opinion about it."

Go figure, eh? I guess *this* is her definition
of the "intellectual honesty" that she accuses
so many of us of *not* having.

At least I saw "Inland Empire." I think it was
stupid. That doesn't mean that everyone will
think it was stupid. Many French critics liked
it. Then again, the French like Jerry Lewis. But
at least the French critics and I saw the films
in question. Judy is so confident that she's
"right" that doing that is unnecessary.

Interesting, eh?