--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> > Gibson probably also thinks the Founding Fathers of America were
> > Christians, when in fact most of them were FreeMasons intent on
> > establishing the Novus Ordo Seclorum  (see your dollar
notes ) "New
> > Secular Order"
>
> Quick note -- Novus Ordo Seclorum translates as "New"
(Novus) "Order"
> (Ordo) "of the Ages, Generations or Centuries"  (Seclorum or more
> fully Saeculorum being the genitive or possessive plural of
> Saeculum, "Age" or "Century" (viz. the French cognate siecle, as
in
> fin-de-siecle, "end of the century"). "Secular" -- from the
adjective
> Saecularis, "worldly, secular, of the age" -- would be a rather
> egregious mistranslation of Seclorum, the sort of "scholarship"
Dan
> Brown's supposedly-learned characters  frequently demonstrate, to
the
> amusement of anyone who actually stayed awake through a decent
> humanities course in college, or were fortunate enough to take
Latin
> in high school before it was phased out :-)>>

"Seclorum" disputed:

Actually, your own quote states: "Secular" -- from the adjective
Saecularis: "worldly, secular, of the age"

In other words it means "secular" also.

Saecularis MEANS "worldy", "secular",  so what is the dispute?

sec•u•lar- ADJECTIVE:
1.Worldly rather than spiritual.
2.Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body:
secular music.
3.Relating to or advocating secularism.
4.Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a
religious order. Used of the clergy.
5.Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
6.Lasting from century to century
7.http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/secular
And it appears more related to these:

secedo : to go apart, withdraw.
secerno secrevi secretum : to separate.
seco : secui : sectum : to cut, hurt, wound, amputate, divide, part.
securis : axe, hatchet, battle-axe.

ie. separation of religion and state.

secular

c.1290, "living in the world, not belonging to a religious order,"
also "belonging to the state," from O.Fr. seculer, from L.L.
sæcularis "worldly, secular,"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=secular

OffWorld