I did read that coccidia has a 13 day incubation period.  And yes, I needed
approval to be able to take a stool sample into the vet that treats the cats
for this group, if I want to be charged the discounted rate (which as a foster,
I feel is only fair).  I could take the cats to my own vet or another vet, but
I wouldn't get the discounted rate.  The whole thing is pretty messed up- kinda
disorganized, so I just do the best I can.  And I don't necessarily have a
problem with the number of cats she has, as the situation in which they are
kept.  I ended up with these kittens because they all had URIs that she was not
treating them for- not even with just terramycin or a triple antibiotic.
They keep Albon in stock and I can get my hands on that to treat them with and
may just end up doing that anyway.  But I need to re-weigh everyone first.
-Caroline > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:17:52 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Subject: Re: Kitten Update> > On 9/27/07, Caroline
Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > My three kittens are status-quo. I
started them on a probiotic made by> > Eagle Brand on Tues. evening, so they've
had a day and a half of that and> > we're still having diarrhea/soft stools/cow
pies (and stinky!). I don't> > know how long it takes the probiotic to work
though? I have talked to the> > volunteer of the Adoption group- who originally
had these kittens and whom I> > needed to obtain approval from before taking in
a stool sample. She said> > she doubts it's coccidia or girardia because she
thinks it would have shown> > up earlier because she had them at her house for
a while before I took them> > in.> > That isn't necessarily true. Coccidia is
so very common in kittens,> and I have sent kittens to a "clean" environment
(no other cats at all> - they are the only cat) and had them come down with
coccidia after> they had been there a month.> > In fact, coccidia is so common
that every time I have taken a kitten> in for a fecal, they have prescribed
Albon even if the stool sample> doesn't show any (it can be hard to detect).> >
You need to get approval?? Before taking a kitten in for a fecal?> > It isn't
uncommon for rescuers to have 20 or 30 (or more) cats in> their houses, by the
way. They kill close to 70% of the cats that> come in to our local kill
shelter.> -- > Rescuties - Saving the world, one cat at a time.> >
http://www.rescuties.org> > Vist the Rescuties store and save a kitty life!> >
http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20> > Please help George!> >
http://rescuties.chipin.com/george> > I GoodSearch for Rescuties.> > Raise
money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the> Internet with
GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!>