Giardia is a parasite.  You can get it from drinking dirty water, and
that is a common way for humans to get it.

Dogs and cats can also get it from drinking dirty water..but they can
also get it from licking their feet after being in the litterbox..from
licking their butts...from sniffing the poop with giardia in it...

It is treatable with flagyl..but it can also burrow into the
intestines and come out later..it is a PITA ...

http://www.rescuties.org