many places don't HAVE cat-only clinics, so it's not even an option.... i've
worked with both, can't say that either kind were intrinsically BETTER. the
chemistry between vet and cat, the openness to new ideas and learning is
what's paramount to me--i've seen pompous, know-everything, don't-talk-to-me
cat-only vets, and i've had general practice vets who talked to me as i were
another professional. if my cats like them, they seem to like my cats, and
they work with me, that's a major factor. (like when i called my housecall
vet and asked if he had room to take on a few more cats, cuz i'd started a
new job that needed a vet.... he asked how many, and i said, um, well,
500..... he was silent for a moment, but didn't hang up or say no.... yep,
he's still my vet.)

i don't know of any local vets that absolutely do not declaw, but i've also
never ever been to one who pushed it--it'd NEVER bee suggested to me, it's
never been offered as part of a spay/neuter deal, i don't declaw, tho i have
some rescues with both front and all-four declaws, but i don't think i would
have realized from my own experience that so many people just thought it was
the done thing to do, nor that so many vets and veterinary chains push it so
aggressively as a money-making item. so it's never occurred to me to even
ask. i agree with marylyn that i'd MUCH rather have a good, compassionate,
aware vet doing a declaw if one had to be done--even if the reason is one
that many of us would NOT consider valid--with the most up-to-date
procedures, pain medication and follow-up than someone who pushes it on all
cats.

i don't really have that much trouble with the vets taking cats in the
back--but the only time i take cats TO the vet (as opposed to the vet coming
here to the house, where, clearly, everyone sees almost everything!) is when
it's for surgeries that my housecall vet can't do.
having tired of chasing cats throughout my and other folks' house while
trying to get bloods, ken now takes them out to his new, larger van to do
it, but i'm welcome to go sit with them if i want to. i usually don't, as i
know how ken treats them, so i trust him with them. one thing that's been
mentioned in a lot of places that i'll probably do if i leave town and have
to break in a whole new set of vets (a thought that absolutely terrifies
me), is to make an initial appointment to tour the clinic--and if you're not
welcome to, take that as a warning bell right from the start.

what vet clients--and human patients--tend to forget is that WE PAY THE
BILLS, we are the customers, and we don't have to settle for things that
make us uncomfortable.

see how the FRONT-OFFICE STAFF TREATS YOU, on the phone and in person. we (a
nationwide rescue group, with vets all over the country we work with) had a
long-standing relationship with a wonderful vet, with an incredibly
well-equipped facility--and an office staff that was atrocious. rude,
inefficient, uncaring--but no one had the guts to say anything to the
vet.... guess who was asked to be the one to do so.....

find out IN ADVANCE how the vet will handle emergencies, and emergency
PAYMENT. as some of you know, i've been disabled for many years, but worked
part-time til 1991, since then i've been on disability based on part-time
work. i couldn't afford to rent a litterbox in most large american
cities.... so a major surgery, or a catastrophic illness is not something i
will EVER be able to handle upfront. but i have NEVER found a vet, other
than ER ones, who was not willing to work with me. but i told them about my
circumstances at the very beginning, and always made every payment, so that
when the times came when a big bill needed to be stretched out, i already
had a history with them. places that will NOT make arrangements for payment
are, to my mind, not the people i want caring for my animals--yes, it's a
business, and yes they need to pay their bills and i understand that--but if
they're passionate about the human/animal bond, they are not going to make
people choose pain and death for their animals due to an immediate shortage
of cash.

this is a good discussion to have; maybe input from lots of us could be
edited into a separate page on the site for folks on, "what to look for in a
vet," or, "interviewing your next vet?" we used to hold periodic chats on
this with vets, to see what the best client for THEM is--it's possible i
could get one to come to the list and talk about that, if there's interest
(she's a cat-only vet....)

--

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....