I believe this person is referring to feline recombinant interferon.
That looks like the protocol that is recommended for treating FeLV+
with Virbagen Omega. I'm wrestling with similar concerns, but we
haven't even tried the stuff yet. Ember is in good shape right now,
and I worry that giving her the VO might rock the boat. I'll have to
figure it out in the next few months, as it expires in June or July, I
*****WARNING THIS IS NOT A VET'S OPINION!!!*****
I think I'd hold off on giving the stuff until at least a year from
the prior dose (ie February). Were I in this person's shoes, I'd
probably just try to sell the VO to someone who needs it for a
symptomatic FeLV+ kitty. Sadly, we don't know enough about VO and how
well it treats the virus.
*****WARNING THIS WAS NOT A VET'S OPINION!!!*****
I really need to get in touch with a European vet to see what they're
doing over there. Very few folks in the States seem to have experience
Hopefully, something in my response was at least vaguely helpful.
On Nov 14, 2007, at 9:12 AM, Belinda Sauro wrote:
Got this from a friend, anyone know or heard anything about
I have a feline interferon question. If you don't know the
answer, would you mind asking the group? I followed the
prophylactic regimen recommended in studies for asymptomatic felv+
cats, which is every day for five days in three runs starting the
1st, 14th, and 60th days. This regimen in studies seems to double
cats' chances of being alive a year later. I gave it to Patches
this past February. I have another batch of feline interferon and
am wondering when to give it to her again. None of the studies I
have say anything about repeating it, or when to do so. Do you
know? Also, I can't find anything on whether it is ok to give to
diabetic cats. Any idea?
happiness is being owned by cats ...
Post Adoptable FeLV/FIV/FIP Cats/Kittens
FeLV Candlelight Service
HostDesign4U.com [affordable hosting & web design]
BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]